Red/pink chicken feet (possible swelling)

brm0700

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2020
Takoma Park, MD, USA
Hello!

First time poster to the BackYard Chickens forum but reader for several months now. I'm Brian and I own two hens with my wife and have been taking care of them since the middle of summer.

I had a question if anyone had a moment about what might be causing the reddening/possible swelling on the bottom of one of our chicken's feet. There's a little bit of scabbing as well on the side of the leg but not sure if it's related.

For context, it has been quite rainy and cold today - so the effect on our hen's foot might be more exaggerated than normal because of the cold conditions, however she does exhibit some mild pink coloration in between the toes and some of that scabbing lately. I wasn't sure if the red/pink swelling was a precursor to frost bite or something else?

We brought her inside briefly and the red feet/swelling decreased but she still had some pink. If it is cold feet/frost bite, what can we do on her feet to protect or treat it, and what material would be best to lay on the floor of the coop.

Appreciate any help and happy to join the forum.

Brian

IMG-9111.JPG
IMG-9112.JPG

Thanks JacinLarkwell for the quick reply! Upon taking another look at her foot, noticed she may have that dark spot indicating bumblefoot and maybe that's what's causing some of the swelling. What do you think based on these pictures? In particular the bottom of the right foot.
IMG-9118_bumblefoot_smaller.jpg
IMG-9120_bumblefoot_smaller.jpg

Thanks JacinLarkwell for the quick reply! Upon taking another look at her foot, noticed she may have that dark spot indicating bumblefoot and maybe that's what's causing some of the swelling. What do you think based on these pictures? In particular the bottom of the right foot.
View attachment 2449723View attachment 2449724
Swelling could be caused by bumblefoot. The scab in the middle of the foot kind of looks like mild bumblefoot.

View attachment 2449723View attachment 2449724
Yes, usually you just soak the feet in an Epsom bath and pick the scab off when it's seperated.

Back
Top Bottom