Red Quill Color

Kenneth Flippen

Songster
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
where does it come from? would it be possible to breed Red Quill gamefowl to china gamefowl and keep the red quill color and the china tail also the same thing with a long crower red quill color and crowing ability? just curious thought about trying it would consider using pumpkin colored fowl also. I only have the red quill right now.

Kenneth Flippen

How you would create Redquill, or where it come from I don't know. Perhaps someone will come along with the answer. As for the coloration with a China longtail, I would say it may take some selecting but it could be done.. Look at the Herman Pinnion yellow legged hatch, long tail, pea comb, yellow legs and 100% wheaten colored. Would be about the same for the Red quill color I think, just maybe a little more selection if you want to breed it that way.

-Daniel

Red Quill is a Partridge bred Black Breasted Red with Autosomal Barring ( Pattern gene + Dark Brown).
e+/e+ s+/s+ Pg/Pg Db/Db
David

I have some American games that come in three color types; black breasted red, brown breasted brown-red, and red quill. There may actually be two types of black breasted red, one is close to wild-type while other is darker especially in respect to hens. The birds are bred pretty much randomly in respect to color but records until recently not kept on color types thrown and in what percentages. What loci and alleles would be involved to have so few color variants?

I do know the brown breasted brown-red is dominant to wild-type based on test cross involving red jungle fowl.

Centrachid,

There are a group of us working on Redquill American Game Bantams from a line developed by Mark Rosen in Colorado. One of them is just a bit northeast of Kansas City.

We are working on meeting sometime during the Ohio National in 2012 to coordinate our efforts and, perhaps, swap a little stock.

Would love to see some photos of your birds.

Quote:
Give me a couple months for juveniles to come into full feather. Redquill hen pictures I have are of poor quality and last two were lost this summer. During winter I will test mate a black hen to one of my brown-breasted brown reds to see if chicks with redquill down are thrown. My birds are games rather than bantams if that makes a difference.

Quote:
the Red Qill's Phenotype is a poligenic trait, is not a single gene. just how Spangling is the result of many gene combining to make a spangled bird.

I agree, despite the redquill pattern not being apparent in my flock, it is hoped simply introducing the extended black will cause the redquill to be repressented again.

Back
Top Bottom