Red Rangers - 8 weeks - live weight 4 to 6.25 pounds - thoughts??

More update: 6 days until process appointment. Largest weighs 7 lbs and smallest is 5. That means in the last 5 days; the gain was between 3/4 and 1 pound each.

Keep the feedback coming. I need all the help I can get.

Keep the giblets. Put a little oil in the pressure cooker, flour, salt and pepper the giblets, add some chopped onion, saute add water and pressure cook at 15lbs pressure for 35-45 minutes and serve over mashed potatoes. Yummy and tender.

Keep the giblets. Put a little oil in the pressure cooker, flour, salt and pepper the giblets, add some chopped onion, saute add water and pressure cook at 15lbs pressure for 35-45 minutes and serve over mashed potatoes. Yummy and tender.

That is how I do hearts and gizzards. So good!
I don't eat the livers, but the dogs love them!

I got a hankerin so that's what I had for dinner last night. The rest of the family wouldn't even try it so.... more for me!
wee.gif

I was wondering about the finished prouct of the Red Ranger. Is there any skin blotching from the colored feathers? I'd be curious to try them, but after processing Black Australorps, GLWs and RIRs I'm a little hesitant.

My Red Rangers are 3 weeks tomorrow. Worked on their cattle panel tractor today. I got all of it done but the tarp on it. I have to go refresh my supply of zip ties. It should be tomorrow, and the little fuzzybutts in it tomorrow. I can finally split the meat birds from the Golden Comets I got with them. That brooder is going to look sparse now.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Just processed 5 and have 5 to go. They were 17 weeks, 1 roo and all others are hens. He is most definitely a roaster, 11lbs dressed. I flipped when I put him on the scales. The hens are running 6.5 to 8+ lbs. dressed. I cannot take credit for raising them, I bought them off of BYC classifies, found them here in Florida. Something came up and could not do all 10 at once. Will do the rest next weekend. The only problem was with the roo getting so big he was walking bowlegged and was worried he was going to break a leg before I could process. So Friday in all that heavy rain you know what my neighbor and I were doing on the back porch. This is only my second time processing as an adult. Last time I was a kid cleaning wild game.

I will most definitely be getting some to raise this fall. The white skin, no dark spots. When it is time to butcher, I will do the large ones first, and grow the other out. So it is not such a chore, do a few a day. Should be able to knock out 3+4 an hour with more practice. I can do 8-10 rabbits an hour, so should be able to improve my time on the chickens.

Maye

Back
Top Bottom