Red raw skin on belly

A few more questions....How old is she? What do you feed, including treats? Did you get her as a chick or hatch her yourself? Has she molted before? If the skin is irritated then depluming mites maybe. Those you won't see, but can irritate the bird to the point that they pull their own feathers looking for relief. I would watch her while roosting to see if she rubs against something, or is getting feather picked, which could also cause feather loss and irritation. Likewise during the day, is she putting her head through fencing or something that is rubbing feathers? The head twitch could be something irritating her, or could be neurological. I've had some random twitches in birds with no explanation, they did fine and lived normal lives. Most of my birds head twitching is caused by gnats/no-see-ums.
https://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/depluming-mites/
- She is around 1.5 years old
- We use New Country Organics soy-free layer feed.
- We got them as chicks, they were only around 1-2 days old when they arrived.
- No, she has not molted.
- I have never noticed anything causing her to lose feathers, no bullying or feather pulling. Her feathers have just never grown in.
- I'm worried about parasites, our chickens free-range during the day and eat seeds that the birds drop from the bird feeder and they are right next to birds all day long.

I would still check her crop first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink - it should be completely empty/flat.
Okay, I'll get up early tomorrow and check. :)
I feel like I should add that if it was some sort of fungal thing that affected the crop, one of our hens recovered from Sour Crop 2-3 months ago. I don't know what caused it.

Okay, I'll get up early tomorrow and check. :)
I feel like I should add that if it was some sort of fungal thing that affected the crop, one of our hens recovered from Sour Crop 2-3 months ago. I don't know what caused it.
A sour crop is usually because it's not emptying properly, the contents "sour" and then yeast or bacteria begins to grow (think fermenting foods). Sometimes there is an underlying condition that is slowing the digestive system - could be blockage, inflammation from worms, coccidiosis or reproductive issues.
I'm glad that your other hen was able to recover.

Let us know how this one's crop is in the a.m.

So, correct me if this is wrong, this is a feed that is whole grains rather than crumbles or pellets. If that is the case I would switch to a crumble type or pellet type feed. Some birds will pick and choose and only eat the bits that they like, which can cause some nutritional deficiencies and lower the protein content of their diet, particularly if they are mostly eating the corn. This may contribute to poor feather quality or her lack of feathering. With pellets or crumbles they can't pick and choose. I've also had some birds that didn't digest a certain feed well and would have a slow crop, and switching feeds resolved the problem. Just like us, they can be less tolerant of certain ingredients that don't bother others. Based on her age, hopefully she will molt this year (where are you in the world, generally), and maybe that will fill in then.

So, correct me if this is wrong, this is a feed that is whole grains rather than crumbles or pellets. If that is the case I would switch to a crumble type or pellet type feed. Some birds will pick and choose and only eat the bits that they like, which can cause some nutritional deficiencies and lower the protein content of their diet, particularly if they are mostly eating the corn. This may contribute to poor feather quality or her lack of feathering. With pellets or crumbles they can't pick and choose. I've also had some birds that didn't digest a certain feed well and would have a slow crop, and switching feeds resolved the problem. Just like us, they can be less tolerant of certain ingredients that don't bother others. Based on her age, hopefully she will molt this year (where are you in the world, generally), and maybe that will fill in then.
You are correct.
I've tried convincing my parents to get some other feed that is pellets or crumbles, but they won't listen to me.

I'll continue trying to convince them. I'll remind them that I'm the one who helps them recover when they're ill :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom