Red Rock hens..new to me

bills

Songster
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
vancouver island
I rec'd 4 Red rock hens the other day, and have no knowledge of the breed. The previous owner's Husband, suddenly was faced with some serious health concerns and offered them to me, as she can no longer care properly for them.

They are about 5 months old and one had just begun to lay for the previous owner. They are really beautiful, healthy looking birds, and have been raised from chicks so they are very friendly. They do seem somewhat timid of my ISA Browns, which are much older birds, although a tad smaller, and certainly lighter in body weight. I hope they don't get picked on to much simply as they are younger, and haven't built up confidence. In a fair fight I bet they could take on the ISA Browns and easily win..lol At this point there is no out and out fighting, just they are always getting chased off the food dish. I have put out a few for the time being, to make sure they don't lose out. The Browns can't covet all of them..

No eggs for me yet, but I expected the move to the new coop, would hold things up a few days.

Anybody able to tell me about there temperament, egg production, egg color, any special needs etc? Are they a Barred Rock, and RR cross?

Thanks Bill

Don't know the breed either, but it sounds like one of the many RIR crosses like red stars, red sexlinks, cherry eggers, etc. They should lay vigorously as most crosses are super layers. Let us know if you figure it out!

I'll bump this up, just in case someone knows the breed..
smile.png

Red Rocks are also called Black Sex Links, Black Stars, Rock Reds, etc. They are from a Rhode Island Red Rooster and a Barred Rock Hen. The roosters look like Barred Rocks and the hens are usually black with a little reddish color in the hackles. Great layers of brown eggs. One of my favorite chickens I've ever had.

Back
Top Bottom