Red Sex Link/Barred Rock chicks

MaybeChickenMama

In the Brooder
May 12, 2021
I have some chicks I just hatched almost 2 weeks ago. Mom is Red Sex Link and Dad is Barred Rock. They’re yellow with random black spots. I have no idea what to expect with these little guys. So far their wing feathers are coming in 100% creamy white. Any one have any guesses on what in the world type of chicken I’ve hatched?

I’m at work so can’t grab recent pics of the little fellas, but here’s a family photo of all of em (there’s some barred babies in there too)

Attachments

• D14F4FEA-BB8D-4A6B-B339-FC009DE82A3F.jpeg
    D14F4FEA-BB8D-4A6B-B339-FC009DE82A3F.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 951E3BC5-E529-4D49-BA3E-8CC1ABB10744.jpeg
    951E3BC5-E529-4D49-BA3E-8CC1ABB10744.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 7
You hatched sexlink crossed with Plymouth barred rocks, they are 'barnyard mixes" aka mutts.
Sex links are mixed breeds designed for one gender to look like one of the parents so you can tell who's a girl or boy based on if they look like mom or dad.

You hatched sexlink crossed with Plymouth barred rocks, they are 'barnyard mixes" aka mutts.
Sex links are mixed breeds designed for one gender to look like one of the parents so you can tell who's a girl or boy based on if they look like mom or dad.
Oh yeah, they’re mutts for sure. I’m just curious about coloring. I was shocked that they don’t seem to have any red or black at all on their big kid feathers so far.

Sorry I'm a bit late seeing this, but I can make a prediction about your chicks' color: mostly white, with some black bits as they grow up, and some red leakage in the males. You may also get some that are black with white barring, again with red leakage in the males.

The reason:
The Barred Rock father give his chicks the genes to be all black with white barring.

The Sexlink hen gives about half of her chicks the Dominant White gene, which turns black into white (so you get white chicks.) The other half should show the black, because the sexlink hen would have a copy of the not-Dominant-White gene as well (because of the way Sexlinks are usually bred.)

The Sexlink hen passes the Gold gene only to her sons (because it's on the Z sex chromosome), which is why they might show some red leakage as they grow up, but the daughters will probably not.

And all of the chicks will have white barring, although you probably will not see the white barring on white feathers. (Sometimes you can see barring in different shades of white if you look from the right angle.)

Back
Top Bottom