red sex link crosses?

buttercup95

Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Northern Cali
Hello I just got about eight chickens that are about 4-5 months old from a coworker and she got them from someone else and now she can't take care of them, but anyways I have no idea what breed they are only that they look like red sex link crosses and I've never had red sex link crosses, but I do know red sex links look like and that after they breed their chicks are not sex links. So my question is, could these be from a red sex linked hen? So any guesses would be appreciated. I just would like to know since I know that red sex links are good egg layers. They might even be second generation red... well I don't know what to call them but they aren't sex linked now.

these are pretty much exactly like the others, except one of the hens is almost banty size so I think the sire might have been a smaller bird since none of them are particularly large.

these two are definitely the only roosters based on their pointed hackles and patchy coloring

I guess you could call them Production Reds, since they are red chickens that were hopefully bred to lay eggs. Red sex links are usually by RIR or NHR roos and they could be part that. What color are their legs, in the pictures the one I can see looks dark? the common red sex links tend to have yellow legs. Do they all have single combs?

Like I said these are bred to something else so they're no longer sex linked I only assume they're descended from them I have no real proof. All of their combs are single and they definitely look from hatchery quality parents. All of the combs are sort of tattered and uneven. Some have gray legs, but I can't remember if all of them do. I'll have to check in the morning. I do know all of the roosters will be going to freezer camp they're mean and not very good looking birds as it is. I don't like breeding mean chickens. I believe nurture has some power but nature has more. I know bottom line they're mutts but I was hoping someone has an idea about their breed anyways.

I got into an informational conversation on another thread about 2nd generation red sexlinks, and I think your roo's could be that as they look similar to the photo of the one on that thread...which of course I can't locate at the moment.

I agree overall your birds look like production reds or production sexlinks...and since you believe they are not first generation, then they would be mutts.

If you breed them, they will be mutts...but mutts have been the backyard farmer's standard for years...they are generally hardy and good egg layers.
Lady of McCamley

Oh I'm not worried about them being mutts, I just worry that the roosters are mean. I don't have mean animals and there's a special place in my freezer for them. I'll keep the hens but only for egg production. They're good looking hens none of them feel underweight, except maybe the roosters, they look kind of gangly too, and hopefully the roosters calm down after a few days so I don't have to butcher them so soon.

Did I miss something reading this thread?

What does determining if your chickens are Red Sex Link crosses have to do with whether or not the roosters are going to be mean?

Haha yeah you missed out on the part where I said they were mean. I am only curious about their breed. It makes no real difference as I won't be breeding them anyways, but I just thought it would be nice to have another's opinion and share mine.

The problem with trying to figure out if your birds are RSL x ? is that the original RSL parent could be a mix any number of breeds.

RSL is basically a color and a description of the fact that they are auto-sexing at hatch, not of their breeding. For example, the red father could have been a RIR, a NHR or a Production Red. The silver factor mother could have been a White Rock, a silver-laced Wyandotte, a Delaware...etc. Any red factor male crossed with a silver factor female with give you a Red Sex Link hen.

Therefore, it's very hard to say that a second generation cross is a RSL x ?. If it helps, I have a lot of farm-bred RSL crosses in my flock right now, and they all look similar to your birds.

The problem with trying to figure out if your birds are RSL x ? is that the original RSL parent could be a mix any number of breeds.

RSL is basically a color and a description of the fact that they are auto-sexing at hatch, not of their breeding. For example, the red father could have been a RIR, a NHR or a Production Red. The silver factor mother could have been a White Rock, a silver-laced Wyandotte, a Delaware...etc. Any red factor male crossed with a silver factor female with give you a Red Sex Link hen.

Therefore, it's very hard to say that a second generation cross is a RSL x ?. If it helps, I have a lot of farm-bred RSL crosses in my flock right now, and they all look similar to your birds.

Thanks it does help. I was thinking about making my own red sex links, but I don't have the right rooster.

Back
Top Bottom