Red Sex Linked or Rhode Island Red

few50704

Chirping
Sep 8, 2020
St. Louis, Missouri
This is one of my new pullets I got about a month ago. Her name is Hei Hei and she’s literally insane, but very friendly. She carried herself a lot more upright and tall than my other chickens. We were told she was a Red Sex Linked when we got her, but the more I look at her the more I question it, because she has the black feathers on her tail like a RIR, instead of the white of a RSL. Anyone think they know?
46276A0E-50D8-4CE8-958A-C3ADAB441E85.jpeg
78B45344-142F-414B-94D7-663E1DE17B22.jpeg

Some Red Sexlinks do have black feathers in the tail, although the ones with white tails are more common.

Black vs. white tail feathers have no effect on the genes that make the sex-linked colors work, so that's why both versions exist.

Some Red Sexlinks do have black feathers in the tail, although the ones with white tails are more common.

Black vs. white tail feathers have no effect on the genes that make the sex-linked colors work, so that's why both versions exist.
Thank you! Do you know of any other characteristics that could help me see which one she is?

Thank you! Do you know of any other characteristics that could help me see which one she is?

Unfortunately, no.

Red Sexlinks usually have a Rhode Island Red father, so they are quite similar in most ways that matter--including laying lots of nice brown eggs.

Unless you plan to breed pure Rhode Island Red chicks to sell, it really won't matter much. (Sexlinks are already a cross, so their chicks will never be "pure" anything.)

Unfortunately, no.

Red Sexlinks usually have a Rhode Island Red father, so they are quite similar in most ways that matter--including laying lots of nice brown eggs.

Unless you plan to breed pure Rhode Island Red chicks to sell, it really won't matter much. (Sexlinks are already a cross, so their chicks will never be "pure" anything.)
Ok! It doesn’t really matter too much to me, I don’t plan on breeding, was just curious. Thanks!

Not sure it really matters (or that anyone can definitely say for sure without a genetic workup, lol).

She's either a RIR, or a half-RIR RSL, and either way there should be many large brown eggs in your future. 😁
Yeah, I’m not planning on breeding or anything so it don’t really care, just curious! I love her no matter what she’s called. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom