Red Silkie Project

MumsyII

Songster
6 Years
It has only been recently that Red Silkies have gained my interest. A google search shows breathtaking specimens in Europe where they have been standardized. A further search reveals many have been raising them for years in the USA.

Dark Buff silkies are also a thing of beauty but breeding buff has eluded me. It is so complicated and there are so many 'too light' and 'too black and smutty' buff birds, But red! As a project using my Catdance bred paint male and bantam Rhode Island Red hens, it might be possible to get deep, dark, mahogany red into my breeding attempts. That's the idea behind this project anyway.

My male is a year and a half old and my three BRIR hens are a bit older.

They have a single comb and deep red coloring. Almost black.

The first test breeding resulted in four chicks of unusual coloring. Not at all what I expected.

The first chick is promising. At day old a buff/brown chipmunk colored chick.

Today she is a deep red/buff. Some black. Dark skin. Five toes each foot. Brown eyes. Smooth comb. Muffs and beard. Slight crest. Feathered shanks and outside toes.

Second and third chicks are just plain weird.

Day old. One is wheaten and one black. Wheaten chick has five toes each foot. Feathered shanks and outside toes. Light skin and beak. Light smooth comb.
The black chick has very black down, beak, skin, and smooth comb. Five toes each foot, feathered shanks, and outside toes. It has light middle toe tips each foot. Pigment holes.
This is what they looked like a couple weeks ago.

This is what they look like today.

There is mahogany red coming in on the wings.

I think this chick is a male. The comb and wattles are reddening.

The black chick is interesting too.

At a week old the feathers were all coming in black. Very black.

This is the chick today.

Pigment holes show white tips on the middle toes. Feathers are coming in black but also brown and mahogany. Weird.

The breast feathers are coming in mahogany the the black feathers are sort of dark blue with black lacing. It also looks chocolate around the face in good light.
I think this chick is also male.

The fourth chick hatched today it is nothing like the first three. A light buff chick with faint stripes on it's back and a dark buff head. It has light skin. Five toes on each foot and is a big chick compared to silkie chicks.

This is the chick with it's paint hatch mates.

All in all, this is an interesting start to my red project. My paint male is dominate silver maybe. Maybe why the chicks from the BRIR are linking weird genes to him and producing unexpected results? I don't know. But eggs are still in the incubator and we will see what comes next.

Last edited:
I found this quote that sums up projects for new varieties. I don't know who wrote this but it is kind of ironic.

"When dealing with dominant genes, you can get a very good looking bird in the first cross, but the second generation will throw a lot of oddballs as all the other genes start pairing up in ways you did not even imagine. The farther you are into generations, the more of those oddball genes you can lose and get closer and closer to getting it right."

I would consider all four of my F1 test mated chicks to be oddballs. I have precious few Silkie males to choose from to make the F2 matings with. I can go the Buff route or the Buff + Lavender route. Pulling the deep red mahogany forward will be the big unknown. If I use a recessive white male, I will likely get many more oddballs.

This interests me greatly since I breed Silkies myself and ive heard of some weird coloured combs like strawberry splash... I would love to know how you get on with this if you planning on updating this each step of the way. Idk if its the same as in sheep but 5th gen is considered pure ( if you breed back to pure with the best ones)

This interests me greatly since I breed Silkies myself and ive heard of some weird coloured combs like strawberry splash... I would love to know how you get on with this if you planning on updating this each step of the way. Idk if its the same as in sheep but 5th gen is considered pure ( if you breed back to pure with the best ones)
My goal is to take each pairing into account of what is known about my birds. There is so much that will only BE known by test breeding.
I will document every chick from hour old until adult. Down color to adult plumage and trait. My flock has been closed since March 2013. No new birds have come in and none left. This gives me precious little to work with.

The Paint male has been used in three projects and on average is fertilizing one in five eggs. I've got him rotating in and out right now to see if a 36 hour rest will increase his fertility. He produces paint in one in five chicks and all kinds of colors are coming out of the recessive whites and the BRIR. The plan is to keep hatching for the rest of the summer and then give the flock and him a long break until Jan. then start to hatch again. Building up the numbers of females in F1 is going to be the biggest challenge right now.

Yes. I plan on updating progress and pitfalls here as often as there is something to share. I do think it will take me five generations to get silkie traits in this strain set in place. The first test chicks are F1 and will be ready to mate in Jan. or soon after. I'm am nothing if not optimistic and very stubborn.

Thank you for your interest.

Last edited:
Since this project is based on crossing a Silkie onto an yellow legged, white skin, single comb breed, I have great interest in what are dominate silkie traits that will show up first.

About black skin as found on a google search:

"Black skin is Fibromelanistic and its symbol is Fm - it is dominant. First generations outcrossed from Silkies usually have black skin. It is possible for fathers give it to their daughters, mothers to sons."

I have found not all of these four test chicks have black skin.

"It might have been something to do with a sex linked inhibitor."

I have noticed some yellow and some greenish legs showing up in the cross.

It will be very interesting to see if the The chicks with yellow or greenish tinted legs are males and if the chicks with black skin are females.

I have two chicks with black skin, legs, and beak. Two chicks with light skin, legs, and beaks. All four chicks have a smooth comb and five toes on each foot. Not only that, the toes spacing is better on these four crossed chicks than many of my pure silkies. This too is interesting. All four chicks have a completely bare middle toe with no stubs.

Black chick has black skin with pigment holes on each middle toe. They have melanized since hatch but the toe nails are still white.

The buff chick has dark skin.

The wheaten colored chick had very yellow skin at hatch but has gotten pink.

And of course the last hatched chick playing dead. It's skin has a greenish/yellow tinge.

Wing feathers are coming in smooth and barbed on the last chick hatched. Pale creamy buff. The chicks head remains darker buff which has me curious on whether it will come in redder. It will not surprise me if this chick becomes red pyle in color pattern.

I suspect it will be male.

Well....Using my paint male on bantam RIR sounded like a good idea to start a red silkie project but I'm getting all paint chicks. What do I do with paint colored chicks from a BRIR hen? Four newly hatched chicks all are white with spots showing within six days. The wing feathers are coming in smooth (barbed). How do I get red from these chicks?
th.gif

New chick hatched today. Almost looks all silkie. Even has a vaulted skull. Nice feathered middle toe too for a cross breed.

Second BRIR x Paint silkie. Obvious spots.

This chick has smooth wing feathers coming in with some black feathers. I thought it was a paint silkie chick. Not.
So does this make them paint cross breeds split to Rhode Island Red? *ugh* Back to the drawing board.
he.gif

You could try again with some red sussex hens, that could increase the size of your silkies if they are small to medium in size. otherwise I would use a buff silkie boy, a really dark buff if possible, it might help since the colours are more similar

Back
Top Bottom