Red Skin Lost Feathers not growing back.

JManley

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2020
CA
My chicken has been like this for months. I have tried everything, Washed, bought anti-fungal and yeast infection spray, dust bath, vitamins. She seems to be in a lot of pain. Very vocal. The feathers she has are mostly just spines. I know its not lice or mites. I thought it may be vent gleet so I treated for that, or water belly also seems like an option but even though her chest is red she doesn't seem to that the swelling.

Attachments

• IMG_8758.jpg
    IMG_8758.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8768.jpg
    IMG_8768.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8766.jpg
    IMG_8766.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Hi. Sorry this is happening to your chicken!
Is she getting bullied by the other hens in your flock? Seems like it might be persistent bullying or feather-picking. Are you feeding your flock a good quality feed? That will help with growing back feathers, which can be painful for the bird. You can supplement her with scrambled eggs, canned tuna, other high protein foods to help with feather re-growth.

Hi. Sorry this is happening to your chicken!
Is she getting bullied by the other hens in your flock? Seems like it might be persistent bullying or feather-picking. Are you feeding your flock a good quality feed? That will help with growing back feathers, which can be painful for the bird. You can supplement her with scrambled eggs, canned tuna, other high protein foods to help with feather re-growth.

She's not getting bullied. They all get along. When I was washing her the soft part of the feathers were just coming off the spines. Plus there is no new growth coming in. They have plenty of food and the coop is not crowded at all. I give them chicken scratch and dried worms in the morning as well and change the water regularly.

She's not getting bullied. They all get along. When I was washing her the soft part of the feathers were just coming off the spines. Plus there is no new growth coming in. They have plenty of food and the coop is not crowded at all. I give them chicken scratch and dried worms in the morning.
Hmmm, ok. I had a chicken last year that went through a really bad molt and her feathers took about 2 months to grow back, all during the middle of winter. I protected her skin Nustock. Have you tried that?
I’m not exactly sure what else might be causing feather loss and lack of regrowth, let’s see if we can get some others to chime in:
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
@aart

What are you feeding?
How old is she?

I would lean toward nutritional deficiency or genetic defect, hard to know. But I would still be inclined to treat for depluming mites as well. Ivermectin Pour On can be found at Tractor Supply. Dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight applied at the base of the neck on the skin. Repeat in 10-14 days.
Likely she will not replace those feathers until she molts.

Back
Top Bottom