Skin concern

Meweber

Chirping
Apr 12, 2022
My year and a half old hen has some major redness in a linear pattern from below her vent, under her belly, up under her crop. The rest of her body looks fine. Most skin has no feathers but the feathers that are there look like they’ve been pulled off with a small bit of the quill still there. There’s some warmth to it. No drainage or bleeding. No evidence of mites or lice. No drainage from her vent. She’s eating and acting normally. No other bird has anything similar going on. Plan on taking her to the vet next week, but if anyone has any ideas or meds not needing prescription, please advise.
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3888.jpeg
    IMG_3888.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3887.jpeg
    IMG_3887.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3880.jpeg
    IMG_3880.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 9
Where does she sleep? Does she roost at night? How is the bedding in the coop or where she spends most of her time? Does she lie around most of the time? Is she low in the pecking order? The yellow area looks like the beginning of a breast blister seen in birds who lie down a lot, have a rough roost, or if there is damp bedding where they spend time lying around. Do you see the others pecking her feathers?

Where does she sleep? Does she roost at night? How is the bedding in the coop or where she spends most of her time? Does she lie around most of the time? Is she low in the pecking order? The yellow area looks like the beginning of a breast blister seen in birds who lie down a lot, have a rough roost, or if there is damp bedding where they spend time lying around. Do you see the others pecking her feathers?
Thanks, those are great ideas to consider. My initial thought was the same, maybe something to do with her laying down or roosting, because the redness is only on her belly, but I did notice a few broken off feathers under her wings without any irritation to her skin. Maybe her skin is irritated but she can reach her belly and butt best. She’s high in the pecking order. She roots at night on a 2 x 4. The bedding in the coop is clean and dry shredded straw. They’ve got a 20 x 10 run with mulch on the ground. And yes, the mulch has been either frozen or extremely wet for a good few weeks now because of the weather. I do think she lays down in that mulch during the day and digs around in it. I did clean their roost bars and nest boxes, really well and sprayed elector PSP to kill any mites or lice.

Back
Top Bottom