Red Skin

Quote:
Hmm, now that I could do, but it's still so cold here, I'd worry he wasn't warm enough all alone in there - it's so cute to see the girls huddled around him up on the roost, I swear they jostle for position next to him. He is a big boy, and I'm surprised at the size difference between him and the other breeds. The BO hens are larger, as are the BRs, the RIRs don't let him near them for the most part (it's pretty funny, they all seem to have headaches when he's around!
gig.gif
), but the GLWs, whom I understood to be a 'heavy breed', are much smaller than the others. They aren't a year yet, maybe they'll all put on more bulk as we get into spring and summer (they were all hatched on June 4, 2008.)

That was my flock!!! LOL My australorp won't let him near them, but I don't think he could get up there anyway. They're huge, he's huge! The RIR have a little bit of feather's missing, but my faverolles and cochins are BARE!!
barnie.gif
You could set up a seperate pen for him during the day and move him back to the coop at night. It's just a temporary fix for us. I was afraid if our roo was with the girls 100% of the time the feathers would never grow back!!

Sonja

We have 19 rhode red hens , we had a couple roo's but when we saw the feathers all missing from our hens backs, we got rid of one roo, then the other, its been a month ago. 3 of our girls were bald on there backs. We checked for mites and dont see any .We thought we were seeing some improvement , But .today we noticed 2 of the really bald ones skin is RED .back and BUT's. yep like sunburn iritated. the only thing we did different was 2 days ago put thin broomed in diatamatious earth on the cement coop floor when we cleaned it out, and then covered with saw shavings like usual.
is the diatamatious earth causing the irritaion?
all of our hens lower back except for a couple are thinning. but thies 3 i thought were the roos favorite
smile.png

My girls are looking the exact same way righ now. We removed the roo a few months back, then came the pecking order shake up, and now everyone looks horrible!! I'm embarassed to let anyone see my flock
sad.png

I was noticing yesterday that the girls backs and butts were really red. I powdered everyone with permetherin, and plan on cleaning out the coop really well for fear of mites. Then I watch the girls peck at eachother, so it could be that. Their skin seems to get redder when the weather gets nicer. I have some pinless peepers here, and plan to put those on today to help with the pecking issues. It just seems like it's taking forever to recover from this!!

On an odd side note. I had one hen who was getting pecked really badly by the others. I moved her into solitary with the roo since I didn't have anywhere else to put her. Ironically she's looking awesome, within a week we had a major feather boom, and her wounds are healing nicely. Go figure!!

Sonja

everyone looks horrible!! I'm embarassed to let anyone see my flock sad.
my problem exactly,, hate for any one to see themn this way
sad.png

Quote:
Don't feel bad, mine look the same way. I'm seriously considering getting rid of my rooster, besides the fact that he got me good on the leg yesterday
roll.png
He's a huge Buff Orpington roo, and he's ruining the girls.

I found the only problem is that taking a way my roo (he's a giant blue cochin) has shaken up the pecking order. Now my girls just keep pecking the heck out of eachother. No matter what I try it keeps happening. I just got some pinless peepers. If I can figure out how to get them on I think that may help. Good luck!!

Sonja

I just watched mine for couple hours .. picked the 2 redest and baldest out as they were pecking feathers from the others and eating them,

Now as I watch the rest of them , we notice 2 or 3 of the others pecking feathers out and eating them from the others , ;o
what am i gonna do???
they are eating the feathers from one another .. I feel so helpless .

Back
Top Bottom