Red spots on legs

TheLaboratoryBF

Songster
8 Years
Mar 18, 2015
Central Valley, California
I have two BO pullets that have the red spots/streaks in the attached photo along each side of both of their legs...the scales of their legs are lying flat and show no other signs of disease/parasite/issue...anything to worry about or normal for chickens with this skin tone?

Last edited:
This was the best angle I could get while they were sun bathing; hard to capture in photos. It's more noticeable in person but since it's on both sides of both of their legs I assumed it was normal but wanted to double check as my other chickens all have dark or yellow legs...these are the first girls I've had with white skin.

Last edited:
This was the best angle I could while they were sun bathing; hard to capture in photos. It's more noticeable in photos but since it's on both sides of both of their legs I assumed it was normal but wanted to double check as my other chickens all have dark or yellow legs...these are the first girls I've had with white skin.

Buff orpingtons do have pink skin so it's normal. The colour of their legs differ from breed to breed.

Thanks all for putting my mind at ease...I've only been keeping chickens for a couple of years but haven't had any problems with any kind of pest/parasite to date (knock on wood) and am trying to keep that track record going...

Thanks all for putting my mind at ease...I've only been keeping chickens for a couple of years but haven't had any problems with any kind of pest/parasite to date (knock on wood) and am trying to keep that track record going...

That's ok, I would probably flip out if I thought my chickens had mites or parasites. Are these your first orpingtons?

Last edited:
That's ok, I would probably flip out if I thought my chickens had mites or parasites. Are these your first orpingtons?
Yes, I started off with three barred rocks (had to rehome one due to aggression issues) and got the two buffs as day-old chicks in May. Each breed's personality is complimenting the other's quite nicely so far. Integration has gone smoothly so far and they're all getting along great.

Back
Top Bottom