Red star Chickens.

Quote:
Yes a Red Star is just another hatchery name that is given to a hybrid production type brown egglayer.

Otherwise known as a gold sex-link which has alot of other names: Golden Comets, Red Stars, Golden Buffs, ISA Browns, and some call them red sex-links also but that's another sex-link combo on its own, anyway.

Check out tadkersons sticky thread at the top of the page and PM him and he can clue in better than I can on this subject.

catdaddy

I have 5 Red Stars that are about 18 months old and they are by far my favorite of the bunch. They always follow me around and 'talk' and all of them sit in our laps. The only draw backs I can see now that we have a rooster is that it is very very unlikely for one to go broody. Other than that we love them!

Recently I was informed (on BYC) that my "Rhode Island Reds" are actually RedStars. I don't really care what they're called...they're awesome! The lay an egg a day, big eggs. Never had "pullet eggs". No soft shells. And they're pretty friendly. My kids get them out most days and play with them.

63900_100_1304_00.jpg

Chickie jumping for a worm

63900_100_0598.jpg

Looks like hen soccer

63900_100_1235.jpg

I got my first 2 Red Stars this spring. They are, by far, my favorites. Super friendly, cuddly and they are excellent layers. I'm planning on getting more!

Red stars are awesome chickens! They are great layers and very friendly! If you are going to show then at a fair (not a formal fair) you should hold them often. I show at 4-H. :)

My Red Star Rosie was hatched on 9/16/15 and has laid her third egg in 4 days for me this week. Very hard shells! But how long will they be small? They aren't tiny, but close to the size of my brother's silkie's eggs.

My two Red Stars lay an egg each every single day like the work birds they've been bred to be. Started out medium sized eggs now they are large.

They are never broody and they're a hybrid, it shows sometimes. Britta is very flighty but they both have taught us a lot and are a good starter breed for folks learning the ropes of chicken rearing.

Back
Top Bottom