Red, swollen, bald butt! what to do???

lucyboo

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
North Carolina
Hey yall!
My 1 yr old hen Sunny has had an issue for a few months. Her butt is red until she dusts then it goes back to normal color. I thought it was mites so dusted her in DE and put a box of DE mixed with dirt. Seemed to help with the reddness. Only now Im more concerned because her feathers havent grown back much and shes swollen. Shes not egg bound because i see her laying everyday and have been waiting with her just to make sure she is getting the egg out. I can provide pics if that would help. All advice is appriciated

<3 kelsey

Are you able to post a picture? If you type in bald butts on this sites search you will come across many posts asking this same senario/question.

It could be a cyst in her oviduct or possibly peritonitus. Sometimes it can just be mites or lice. I have no diagnosis for you though as I am unfamiliar with this occurrence. Just shooting out possibilities so you can research to help the chicken.

Hope the best for ya.

hey guys sorry I haven't been on in a while. been going thru a lot. but I just wanted yall to know we bathed her in sulfur solution and it worked. she just had mites. thank you all for helping me :)

<3 kelsey

Back
Top Bottom