Red swollen ball on hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hatcherkid777, Aug 15, 2014.

1. hatcherkid777

hatcherkid777 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    hen also has poop all over it's feathers PLEASE HELP ASAP

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't know what to suggest, but it sounds like a serious internal infection. I doubt that the prognosis will be bright. Good luck.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be aprolapsed vent, but you haven't given enough information. Where is the red ball, on the vent, under the vent area on the abdomen?? A picture always can help. If it is a prolapse, you need to isolate her, clean her vent, and put some honey or Preparation H ointment on it, then try to push it back in.

4. hatcherkid777

Apr 19, 2013
    it is under the vent it may be a prolapse

5. jgcalifornia

jgcalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Take her to the vet and get her examined.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is a picture of a prolapsed vent. Is the ball like that or under the vent? A picture of your hen would truly help.

[​IMG]
    Photo by Armorfirelady of BYC

7. jgcalifornia

jgcalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Take her to the vet.

8. hatcherkid777

Apr 19, 2013
    yes this is what she has it is on the vent not under it. I have been treating her for vent gleet but maybe it could be 2 things gleet and prolapse. i was just giving her a bath this morning and when i took off my gloves they had extremely small black bugs on the inside what are these

9. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    She may have mites/lice check under her wings around the head under the feathers for any small bugs. May need a magnifying glass to see them. Can be hard to see. At night check roosting area and other hens for bugs. If you find anything you need to dust the whole flock with Sevin dusting powder under wings around head I use a small brush there to apply, and under around the vent. Don't get any inside or on her prolapse. Sevin may be the cheapest route for you. Can be found in a home garden area like Lowes or hardware stores garden centers.

I use sugar, honey, preparation H applied to the prolapse. Gently use my gloved hand to hold in place for up to 15 minutes or as long as I can. I do this while watching my other girls talking to them and watching for other problems. In a severe prolapse I use vet wrap and cloth to make a pressure wrap to hold the prolapse and honey or preparation H in place for a few hours, she can still poo if needed.

Hope your hen recovers soon.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yikes! Gleet, prolapse and mites! Get yourself some poultry dust, 5% Sevin Dust and dust her, that should take care of the mites. I have also used kitten shampoo for mites.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by