Red Swollen Chick Butt

Mmfarm119

Chirping
Jul 26, 2020
My chick has a red swollen butt. It kinda looks like a human outie belly button because of the way it sticks out. Is this something harmful to the chick? Does it cause it pain? The other baby chicks pick at it to make it bleed but when left alone it doesn't bleed. What should I do? Thank you for all your help! Attached are some pictures!

Attachments

• 20210707_205315.jpg
    20210707_205315.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210707_205318.jpg
    20210707_205318.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 8
It looks like the chick may have a prolapsed vent that has been pecked badly by the others. They will normally peck at anything red. Has the chick been constipated and is it passing normal droppings? Straining to poop can lead to a prolapse in chicks. A little chilled coconut oil cut into small peckable pieces can help a constipated chick. I would apply some plain Neosporin ointment to her vent twice a day and keep her near the others, but separated by fencing or a dog crate to give some time for healing. It may heal quickly. Hopefully the prolapse will decrease inside and go back in. For prolapses that are not injured, honey or a mild cream can help with swelling, keeping the prolapse tissue moist so that it does not dry out.

It looks like the chick may have a prolapsed vent that has been pecked badly by the others. They will normally peck at anything red. Has the chick been constipated and is it passing normal droppings? Straining to poop can lead to a prolapse in chicks. A little chilled coconut oil cut into small peckable pieces can help a constipated chick. I would apply some plain Neosporin ointment to her vent twice a day and keep her near the others, but separated by fencing or a dog crate to give some time for healing. It may heal quickly. Hopefully the prolapse will decrease inside and go back in. For prolapses that are not injured, honey or a mild cream can help with swelling, keeping the prolapse tissue moist so that it does not dry out.
I haven't been able to watch the droppings as it has been with the other chicks so its hard to target what poop is from who. I will give updates when I receive them... I separated them tonight after I noticed the others chasing it around. I have another chick in with it who is mothering and cuddling it. I applied neosporin to it this evening and now I will do it 2x a day as recommended. Does the chick need to eat the chilled coconut oil or is it to be applied to the vent? Can I have an example of a mild cream?

The chilled coconut oil is taken orally to lube the tubes. You may also use olive oil or mineral oil mixed into a little food or scrambled egg. Hydrocortisone cream is one frequently recommended to help with swelling. But any oil that can keep it lubricated is good.

The chilled coconut oil is taken orally to lube the tubes. You may also use olive oil or mineral oil mixed into a little food or scrambled egg. Hydrocortisone cream is one frequently recommended to help with swelling. But any oil that can keep it lubricated is good.
Attached is a picture of Poop from the chick. It looks pretty normal to me but I don't know much about chick poop 🤣. I will be giving some coconut oil to them here soon.

Attachments

• 20210708_152403.jpg
    20210708_152403.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom