Red swollen irritated underbelly isa brown - assistance?

Dec 4, 2023
Hi, the isa brown has has an it rated red underbelly for 4 weeks now. She is not broody. She lost all her feathers. Some of the red has turned into sores. There were some kind of mites on her, but not heaps, so I have powered her and put some pawpaw cream on her underbelly from time to time. She free ranges and sleeps in the trees so picks up mites from wild birds. Now there’s poo accumulating round her anus which I have rinsed off a couple of times. She is thinner than the rest and has lost weight and now struggles to walk. None of the others (5others) have what she has… Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_2463.jpeg
    IMG_2463.jpeg
    573.3 KB · Views: 64
She may be molting, and they can have a decreased appetite. I would bring her inside and let her soak in some warm soapy water or Epsom salts and then clean off the poop. Get a good look at her vent them, dry her with a towel and blow dry. Make sure that she doesn’t have a prolapse. I would get some permethrin garden dust or permethrin spray and treat her for the mites. All bedding should be clean and then keep her in a wire dog crate with food and water, so that you can observe her and treat her. Take her aside and feed her some water chicken feed, watery scrambled egg, water, and alternate with some canned tuna bits. If she has not been wormed recently consider using SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste, or Valbazen. The warm soaks can be repeated daily if needed to see if her belly gets better.

Back
Top Bottom