Red Swollen Vent Area, Egg bound?warning: graphic photos

Yes, I have done this before with one of my buff orpington hens who was egg bound, later she laid it normally. It looked similar to the video that was posted.
Oh wow, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone successfully being able to push the egg, the prolapsed tissue and all back inside a hen and her lay the egg.
That would have made an interesting educational video.

Thank you both, and thank you for the video. Unfortunately this hen was in much worse shape. We did try to push it back in gently after being instructed on how to do this. We tried for well over an hour to gently push it back in and reposition it. We could get it back in but not reposition it in a way it could come out. It was a very hard call to know how much to put her through but she seemed so healthy otherwise and was so willing. It seemed clear the egg was stuck in the oviduct (?) wall as we could see the opening was far far to the side and we could not for all our efforts get the egg over to that area. After many more hours of research re: spay and hormones the vet we spoke to who sees a lot of chickens suggested euthanasia. I hope this is a rare occurrence for chickens as it seems so awful for them.
I'm very sorry about your hen.

Oh wow, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone successfully being able to push the egg, the prolapsed tissue and all back inside a hen and her lay the egg.
To be fair, the egg was not completely prolapsed because we got to it in time but prolapsed all the same.

I also did not think this was possible, but someone recently said they had done this. They did not post pictures or a video for proof. It may not have been all the way out. It seems a little hard to believe since there would probably be a lot of trauma to the cloaca, and a risk of tearing the tissue or breaking the egg. I would probably just try to find the tiny opening. Some have been tempted to cut the egg out, but that probably might doom the hen to infection and vent damage. In the original eggbound prolapse video I linked, the hen had another episode and had to be culled.

I also did not think this was possible, but someone recently said they had done this. They did not post pictures or a video for proof. It may not have been all the way out. It seems a little hard to believe since there would probably be a lot of trauma to the cloaca, and a risk of tearing the tissue or breaking the egg. I would probably just try to find the tiny opening. Some have been tempted to cut the egg out, but that probably might doom the hen to infection and vent damage. In the original eggbound prolapse video I linked, the hen had another episode and had to be culled.
I'm so sorry. You are a good friend ♡

Back
Top Bottom