Red tail hawk swooped in

Quote:
Doesn't the owl scare the chickens too?

not at all, he's been there since they were babies so I think they've realized that he's pretty harmless
gig.gif

ours was $15 at our farm store, you can also get them with a bobble heads that moves in a breeze. and you don't have to put it on the coop, anywhere high up and visible is fine.

here's a link to the one we got:
http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Law...naments/Statuary/Garden-Defense-Owl-101305102

he's in the top left:
54082_dsc_0723.jpg

Just had this happen 5 minutes ago too. I heard lots of commotion and looked outside just in time to see a hawk swoop not 5 feet above 3 of my girls. The fenced part of the yard I've created for them has lots of tree cover but of course they were exposed when it flew over. I went outside to do a head count and it flew away from the phone pole it was sitting on watching them, to a nearby tree, then I saw it fly away again. I locked them up right away, and I'll keep a close eye on them until the migration is over, but will a hawk take a 22 week old standard? This hawk looked like it was 1/2 the size of my hens (I have one banty, the other 4 are all standards)??

I'm not sure who it was for mine, but it sounded like more than one...I have 3 black hens (maran, EE and australorp) and one of them was with the 2 (cochin banty, barnvelder) that were exposed, but now I'm not sure which one. I just took my rooster to a sanctuary on Monday since I can't have him here and I know he was the head of the clan even though he was still young so now I'm not sure who's top hen, but I know the Banty and Barn. are not, and I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference either.

I've had one sitting on a power pole all afternoon. Just waiting and waiting. Did a fly by a few times. But this is the time of year I notice them the most. I might try the owl. Can't hurt. How about a scarecrow? But for hawks? Wonder if that would work??

I'm not too sure what kind. I don't think red tails are too common here in Utah. My mister is the hawk expert. I'll ask him tomorrow when the hawk returns. I'll get my bird guide out and have it ready.

I picked up inflatable owls at Walmart 2 years ago.Marked down stuff at the end of the summer.Also got these huge inflatable red eyes sold during hallowen time. I have been planting bushes and ornamental grasses all over the yard for the birds. I am most worried about the winter time,because I KNOW the hawk(s) are around and they might really be hungry for chicken in the dead of winter. We have the red shouldered hawk. I know it's call,so that is how I could ID it by listening to all the online recordings.

I just wish my girls would run when I play the hawk warning call.They just look at me and get back to pecking.

Quote:
Instinct in respect to raptors may be based on sight only. Also, a calling raptor is not a hunting raptor. A calling raptor is having social problems, talking to kin (chicks to parents or mate to mate) or warning about / against predators.

If your birds hear hawks calling frequently, they could also be acclimated to it.

Back
Top Bottom