Red tail hawks are toying with me and terrorizing my flock!

First off, the OP stated that they have a secure, predator-proof coop. The problem is that the birds are being let out rather than remaining IN that coop.

You misunderstood me completely... We are very poor mountain folk that get by largely on a trade/barter system and believing in the old saying that "one man's trash is another man's treasure." I was in NO way implying that everyone should be able to construct elaborate, expensive coops... which is why I mentioned that we use free wooden pallets to make ours. One of our coops is a little pre-fabbed one from Tractor Supply that my mom got us last Christmas... Another is a stall in our barn that we enclosed completely with disgarded lattice from someone's garden project. I was trying to offer inexpensive ideas that we have utilized and that work for us, because we know ALL about working on a basically non-existent budget.

I dont think you have ever met very poor mountain folk, they do not share your opinion.

I have a steel wire covered run and it is secured from all sides, with one side being a 6 foot tall wooden fence. The hawks perch on the fence and torment my poor ladies.
I discover them harassing the ladies from about whilst perched on their coop and run. Thank gosh for my run. It is a FORTRESS.
Is electricity an option? If at all possible, try running an electric wire along the places they perch. stringing a few lines over the top of your coop and run would help, too. It does sound like the bigger hawks may be migratory. If so, a couple of good shocks should send them unhappily on their way, again.

Good gravy. So much judgment on a forum about chickens (and other poultry/fowl). Respect others' decisions and try to see things from their perspective. Express your own thoughts to invite changes of heart, ask questions to prompt reflection, and then move on knowing you've done your part. Insults and assumptions often just derail the conversation.

Is electricity an option? If at all possible, try running an electric wire along the places they perch. stringing a few lines over the top of your coop and run would help, too. It does sound like the bigger hawks may be migratory. If so, a couple of good shocks should send them unhappily on their way, again.
Electric wire only works when you have a good ground. About 4" from the top of my chainlink I have a hot wire insulated from the chainlink. The metal chainlink is grounded. When something crawl up or lands on the chainlink, they are then grounded also. Then when they touch the hot wire, it will light them up. If I did the same thing with a wooden fence it would not work. The wood isn't a good ground. And just running electric fence over your coop/run won't work at all. There is no ground in the air. That's why birds can land on high voltage writes without being shocked at all. No ground.
There are ways to electrify a wooden fence but I'm not going into the details here. :old

Good gravy. So much judgment on a forum about chickens (and other poultry/fowl). Respect others' decisions and try to see things from their perspective. Express your own thoughts to invite changes of heart, ask questions to prompt reflection, and then move on knowing you've done your part. Insults and assumptions often just derail the conversation.

I agree.

with respect ma'am, the discourse has been fairly civil

Last edited by a moderator:
haha sorry i dont know how that got included when i hit reply, im a young man but i have no idea how computers work somtimes. I wish nothing but the best for you and yours, and everyone else who keeps chickens!
I'm just razzing you! It cracked me up! I take no offense, and I've had posts go awry on me before.

And my earlier post wasn't in response to anything you posted, I assure you.

OP, I am curious what part of NEO you are from. I'm from the same area and have no huge problem with hawks. I see them around of course but don't have an issue with them trying to get my chickens. I wonder if you kept your chickens in their coop for awhile, the hawks might wander off somewhere else for easier pickings. Just don't send them my way! :D

Back
Top Bottom