Red vs. white light bulbs - An observation

vermontgal, I switched to a ceramic heat lamp for my oldest batch of chicks who are almost 4 weeks old. Now they have the light from the brooder room during the day, and only what red light filters from the "little baby" brooders next door at night. They were a bit restless the first night since their cage was darker than usual, but after about 20 minutes they settled right down and slept. Now they are getting on more of a schedule that the adult chickens outside have, so the transition will perhaps not be so traumatic. ?

I do like keeping the red lights for the really young ones, so I will probably do this for the coming batches as well. I just have a lot of heat lamps/bulbs of various wattage, so I have some flexibility.

I like the phsycology theory of the light and I do notice a difference. In my brooderI have one side white infrared over the feed and water station,on other side red over the shavings and they sleep and cuddle under red and feed under white.Temp is same but I give them the choice.

Back
Top Bottom