Red wattle like skin around roosters vent

Virus

Songster
6 Years
May 21, 2015
Kentucky
I've noticed recently that my rooster has developed what looks like the same kind of skin on their wattles and combs around his vent. The feathers seem to have mostly stopped growing on it and it's very hot to the touch. I'm not sure if this is a problem or if he just developed it because it's gotten really hot recently. I've never had this happen to a rooster and I was just curious if anyone seen it anything like it before.
20190626_200939.jpg
20190626_201008.jpg
20190626_200845.jpg

I think I would treat for parasites (using pour on ivermectin or permethrin) and provide some separation so his his skin can heal if he is mounting hens often. Also check the hens to see if he is spreading the love to them.

The red angry heat is a sign of some sort of infection. Which I often see with parasite... but this looks a bit different.

That looks awful and painful. :( Great pics if the issue, though!

@Eggcessive any thoughts here? TIA :fl

I agree with the treatment for mites. I could be depluming mites, which burrow into the skin at the base of the feather shafts, cause intense irritation and will often cause them to pull their own feathers in an attempt to get relief. Feather mites, that live inside the feather shaft can also cause dermatitis. Both can be treated with ivermectin.
Here's the Merck manual that discussed both:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/ectoparasites/mites-of-poultry

I'll start treating him for mites just in case and I'll check out his favorite hens, i haven't seen anything in them but I'll take a look today. I haven't depluming mites before but I'll look inti them as well. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom