Red Wattles and combs?

Backyardbantam3

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
what is important about how red the combs and wattles of a chicken are. People talk about it like its a good thing I just don't know what it means or if its like a good gender trait im really new to chickens and got my first chicks like 3 weeks ago so what does it mean?

When a hen is ready to lay eggs her comb and wattles normally turn bright red. When they quit laying, like when they molt, they lose that bright red color. A rooster is more attracted to a hen with a bright red comb. In a male, a bright red comb shows that he is sexually strong and active. The comb can also lose color if the chicken, male or female, get sick.

A bright red comb is a sign of a healthy productive chicken.

If a hen has a pale red comb it usually means it is i'll, stressed, or simply not doing well.
Usually speaking, the brighter the comb the healthier the bird.

Glossy, red combs and wattles are a sign that chickens are healthy. Shriveled, off-color, swollen or combs with black tips are all bad signs. My chickens have never had perfectly red and glossy combs but they have always been healthy and treated well. So just as long as your chickens' combs aren't off-chart than they are fine
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom