Red Wigglers - how fast reproduce as part of feed?

It's not surprising that several varieties of worm are known as "red wigglers" (you know, because they're red and wiggly).

So I agree it is good advice to get something that is native to your locale, good for feeding to livestock, and sans-toxic slime. Know what you're buying.

In my setup, I didn't actually ADD any worms...I just attract more of the ones that are already native (or at least "around"...I didn't check their papers).

i should have said in my and world renowned earth worm expert Dr. John Reynolds opinion. Who is quoted in the article you linked. They don’t have any significant environmental impact. They are very rarely found in natural environments. Especially since the decline of using horses in agriculture. They tend to congregate in areas of rich organic materials such as compost piles or manure piles.
While I am no scientist and what most would consider a dumb country boy. I have raised the worms and have had some escape and the only place you would find them on my property aside from my bins is my compost pile. They do not congregate in leaf litter that I have noticed. They certainly will decompose leafs but hardly what I would consider adequately without the help of other creatures like pill bugs and millipedes.

I don’t mean to sound abrasive or demeaning just my opinion and of course I could be wrong.

Almost all earthworm species in North America are non-native. The native species were wiped out by glaciation ten thousand years ago.
That's both fascinating and the most ridiculous field of study I've encountered.
"What do you do, Joe?"
"I study the environmental impact of earth worms in the pleistocene era of North America."

"........oh........does it pay well?"

So where did the current worms come from? Migrating birds?

Most were introduced by Europeans beginning in the 17th Century, just like the honey bees. They did not have to do it intentionally because they were bringing over potted plant material that the worms could ride along in. It was not without adverse ecological repercussions in the New World either

Almost all earthworm species in North America are non-native. The native species were wiped out by glaciation ten thousand years ago.
All of North America? I was reading only the northern half. Which makes sense given where the glaciers were ten thousand years ago.

And that the main reason to not worry about red wigglers becoming problems as invasives is that cold temperatures stop them.

i should have said in my and world renowned earth worm expert Dr. John Reynolds opinion. Who is quoted in the article you linked. They don’t have any significant environmental impact. They are very rarely found in natural environments. Especially since the decline of using horses in agriculture. They tend to congregate in areas of rich organic materials such as compost piles or manure piles.
While I am no scientist and what most would consider a dumb country boy. I have raised the worms and have had some escape and the only place you would find them on my property aside from my bins is my compost pile. They do not congregate in leaf litter that I have noticed. They certainly will decompose leafs but hardly what I would consider adequately without the help of other creatures like pill bugs and millipedes.

I don’t mean to sound abrasive or demeaning just my opinion and of course I could be wrong.
That from Dr Reynolds was about one species. Maybe that is the only one available to buy (I don't know, it seems so). If it will always be the only one, I agree there isn't much to worry about in at least most of the US or Canada, maybe all of the continent. Dr Reynolds seemed to give a significantly different answer about other species.

I don't think you came across as abrasive or demeaning. I hope I didn't either. And apologize if I did.

I’m trying my hand at making my own feed since organic has gone up so much. Among vegetation and grain, I have also considered adding red wigglers as part of the protein profile. I have been thinking about getting them anyway as a supplement to my compost for my garden. I’m wondering how many I would have to start with and how much food and upkeep I would have to give them for them to be feasible as a good portion of the protein for 4 to 8 birds (which is our comfort zone as far as number of birds). If anyone has any experience raising worms, either partially or for the sole reason of chicken food, I would be interested to hear if it takes too long, or is too slow of a process to make any impact. I have been reading some posts about it, but didn’t really see anything specifically stating whether it produced enough to be worthwhile. As interesting as it would be as a hobby, I have enough hobbies. It would have to make it worth my while in numbers and consistency (as long as I am consistent in upkeep). I have also thought about mealworms, but I prefer wigglers if I could get the same or better numbers in production. Thank you!
Red worms multiply very fast, I'd guess by the month, I use them in my tomato plants! http://www.projectgrowgardens.org/uploads/media_items/one-page-guide-to-vermicomposting.original.pdf

Back
Top Bottom