Red wine vinegar instead of ACV?

Burbs

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
South East Idaho
Has anyone used raw unfiltered red wine vinegar for their chickens instead of ACV. We have been making RWV for years and typically pasteurize and filter it for our own use. I don't know if the sulfites and tannins in the wine would be an issue for the chickens.
Just curious.

I have no idea on this but I do know that you are supposed to use the ACV with that big snot looking blob in the bottom. It's called the "mother".
Drunk chickens...hmmm now there is a thought.
gig.gif

Maybe someone else will chime in with some info regarding RWV.

Could be a shortcut to Coq Au Vin.

BTW all vinegars start out with alcohol. ACV is fermented cider then vinegar. Can't get to vinegar without alcohol.

Last edited:
I'm no expert so I don't know if you could use the RWV for chickens. I really don't see how it could be much different than the ACV, but I'm not sure. A little in their water certainly shouldn't hurt them.

Personally I don't like ACV and only use RWV in my house. I have some with "mother" in it. I thought it was sludge at the bottom and way going to complain to the manufacturer. Should RWV have that sludge stuff in it when you buy it in gallon jugs? Yuck.

Isn't the acidity level about the same as ACV?

Commercially available stuff if always around 4 to 5 %. I really have no idea what mine is running because I don't dilute it with water (most people do that make it). Acidity is based off of the original alcohol content and how long you let the fermentation/oxidation go.
As far as sludge in the bottom of store bought goes I would be hesitant to use it unless it was labeled as unfiltered raw vinegar. The live microbes in URV would help prevent nasties from growing. Maybe it is just a mind set on my part. I have no problem cutting mold off of cheese that I made myself but would never buy moldy cheese at the store. Maybe that’s an unfounded metaphor.
roll.png

Last edited:
All the vinegars create an acidic environment in their bowels that makes it easier for good bacteria to grow, as well as sterilize the crop, but ACV is the most beneficial of the vinegars. If you get the kind with the mother in it, you'll provide the birds with the natural trace elements and enzymes found in apples.

Back
Top Bottom