Redcaps

I understand that... I wish I could grow out a hundred or more and over winter better birds but... somethings aren't feasible. Part of the reason I don't is culling... I cull hard and have been able to rehome my extra pullets as layers. The cockerels are not as easy to "take care of".

The nicest Redcaps I had came from McMurray. I got them about five years ago and kept several. I lost the best three two/three years ago. I hadn't done any breeding/hatching until that summer and none of their eggs hatched. It was a very wet summer and I'd only kept one roo so...? I replaced them with Ideal and SandHill chicks. I think I'm ordering from McMurray again this spring.

Good luck with your endeavor. Maybe in a few years we'll have something approaching a "true" Redcap. I like the bird's personality... a bit flighty but so curious!

I have found out that almost all hatchery stock has white ear lobes. I am trying to think of a way to breed it out of them.. or find someone with some that dont have them. Maybe if we breed back with a male that doesnt the color will eventually come out. Like I said I am ordering from Ideal and mcmurray. I would love to get some sandhill line in there as well. so if you are interested in selling some I would like to get a dozen or so.. if possible.

Back
Top Bottom