Redcaps

Come spring, contact me and I'm sure I should be able to do that. My roos have red (brown-red) ear color so lets hope. I lost one SH pullet this fall that had red-brown earlobes so it may appear in SH. My Ideal hens have hollow combs. None of them are anywhere near cock: 6 lbs, hen: 5 lbs. Lots to work on!

There really is a lot to work on. But if we stick to it, not give up, and work together. I am sure with in a few years we could have something really close to standard.

Fingers crossed! It's nice to chat with someone else who's interested in Redcaps. We have friends in Tennessee... near Knoxville... on one of the TVA lakes... Ten Mile is the mailing address. Some year we may be arranging a chicken swap but eggs for now.
wink.png

I just finished reading through this entire thread and thought I would add in my voice. ;) Kudos to you working with the Redcaps. I had a smallish flock of around 40 birds 12 years back. Sold the entire stock when I lost my job and as a result the farm.

Hoping to get back into them next fall. It's good to see new and older breeders working them though. I wish I could have stayed in the breed, it feels like I have fallen so far behind on whats happening in the Redcap world.

If I can't get my grubby fingers on some in-progress stock to keep working on, I'll likely just purchase from Sandhill when I pick up some black Penedesenca, rumpless fowl and longcrowers.

Again, just wanted to applaud those of you working with the breed. :) Don't get discouraged with them, keep seeing the potential and working for the future.

I know several folks that have worked on Redcaps for years with varying results.

I think the problem is as follows:
1. The Redcaps in the States, especially those from SandHills, are exactly what they are suppose to be: farm chickens.
2. If what you want isn't in the gene pool then you can breed all you want and it ain't going to happen.

It seems the biggest problem is the size as compared to the 7.5 lb Standard. I think if this is what is really desired then grading is the answer. However, working with the Redcaps comb is going to be a challenge.

I know several folks that have worked on Redcaps for years with varying results.

I think the problem is as follows:
1. The Redcaps in the States, especially those from SandHills, are exactly what they are suppose to be: farm chickens.
2. If what you want isn't in the gene pool then you can breed all you want and it ain't going to happen.

It seems the biggest problem is the size as compared to the 7.5 lb Standard. I think if this is what is really desired then grading is the answer. However, working with the Redcaps comb is going to be a challenge.

A good point. If you or anyone else was going to try a cross from another breed, what breed to you think you'd try? and why?

I'm not sure if the comb or the weight frustrates me more.

Back
Top Bottom