Reddish brown chicky poo

new2chicks16

Hatching
Mar 9, 2017
I am new to baby chicks. I have six different breeds that are 4 weeks old. I've noticed a few of them having a reddish brown poo. It's definitely more brown than red but I was wondering if this is a cause for concern? Thank you in advance!!

I am new to baby chicks. I have six different breeds that are 4 weeks old. I've noticed a few of them having a reddish brown poo. It's definitely more brown than red but I was wondering if this is a cause for concern? Thank you in advance!!
More information: Where are they? What are you feeding them? Any treats? What is the temp where you are keeping them? Still supplying heat? What are you using for heat? What are you using for bedding? How big is their brooder? Have they been out to the yard for play dates? Do you have other poultry? How are they acting? How long have you been noticing this? Just once in a while or all the time?

Last edited:
It's been most of the time. They're in a sizeable brooder inside with a heat lamp but it's only at about 80 degrees. They are in there with two ducklings. They have wood shavings for bedding. About every four days I give them some scrambled egg and a couple times a week they get a little cracked corn for treats. Four regular food they are on a non medicated starter feed. Clean water is always available which can be a challenge with the ducks. I change the bedding at least twice a day. It's been too cold here (Montana) for outside field trips for the chicks although the ducks have been outside several times.

Last edited:
How many chicks? That you have them with ducks might be an issue in that ducks are incredibly sloppy. If their bedding is getting wet, that is not a good thing, It increases their risk of getting coccidiosis. At 4 weeks, they should be completely off heat. (it needs to be decreased incrementally) and they should have 2 s.f./bird.

Last edited:
We'll I have six chicks and the two ducks. They are in a large kiddie pool with a 2 ft x 2 ft add on. The water stays on the kiddie pool side so if the ducks do splash around the chicks always have a dry side. I've been wondering about moving the ducks outside as they are way bigger than the chicks (the same age though). The weather here just can't seem to make up it's mind. Do you think I should separate them in the meantime? If their poop is reddish brown do you think the could already have it? If so what do I do about that?

Welcome to BYC!

Can you post some pictures of the poop?

Sorry for the delay. This is a picture of the reddish brown poo. I'm thinking it's normal based on their behavior but if anyone else could verify that, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom