1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Redneck Lighting System

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rodriguezpoultry, Nov 9, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    So after much consideration, I've decided how to finally get my birds to lay again. There is a large coop where I usually put a lightbulb, but the issue was the smaller coop. The birds will be plenty warm, it's just a matter of getting light in there without roasting them. Then it came to me.

Christmas lights.

Oh yes. I'm going to be hanging Christmas lights in the coop. [​IMG]

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I love it!

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Only issue is...how do I make it temporary so that it can be removed? It's going to be connected to plywood boards??

4. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    That's great - take pictures!

How about horseshoe nails, ya know, the U-shaped nails? They are called something else too, can't remember. Pound 'em in partway, they'll pull right out.

5. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    You could use one of those LED rope lights.

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Great idea!

7. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Quote:They're called fencing staples. 1001 uses - we couldn't survive without them on our little farm! [​IMG]

8. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    they sell these little hooks you can put up to hold the lights

9. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i've used a staple gun to attach them to wood before, just be careful not to go through the wires or they are ruined.

also, many of the x-mas lights have chemicals in the coated wires (you'll see the notice on them when you buy them). make sure that can't be accessed by the birds so they don't get sick.

if you are looking to use a lot of strings i would recommend getting the commercial grade ones at ACE hardware. you can sting together 6 sets of the 100 lights vs 3 sets of the cheap ones from big box stores.

i thought about using the lights last week myself but have yet to get out and do that.

10. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We put Christmas lights in our coops last year. Red and green bulbs. By December 5th we had our girls cackling Silent Night in three part harmony and you should have heard the roos version of The Carole Of The Bells...LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by