redness and swollen toes, what is wrong??? *** pictures

IndiesChix

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 16, 2014
Indiana
I have a barred rock that I noticed has some redness between the toes, and on one foot she has some swelling at joints. I looked at bottom of feet for bumble foot, and I don't see anything like that. Maybe leg mites????? I'm new to chickens so I'm not sure what it is and what to do.
here is a picture of the swollen joints.

the redness doesn't show up as much in the pictures, but you can see some of it.

I don't see any leg mites, but I have an untrained eye

Here I just circled the swollen spots.

I'm no expert, but IMO not likely mites.

Are those toe joints really swollen or tender? Those areas could just be lost scales and look like just those over the toe joints are involved - do the areas under the lost scales look like new scales?

Is there any tenderness or swelling in the inter web skin and how long has she had it. Does she walk normally or sit more than usual?

I have seen some redness in the interdigital webs on some of my hens occasionally that resolves without treatment - I think symmetrical infection would be unlikely.

But it wouldn't hurt to treat topically - diluted beta dine soaks? And watch the red areas closely, if they expand, look worse or fail to resolve in a few days, then antibiotics and benign scaly leg mite treatment would be what I would do.

When I touch the swollen looking areas she does pull her foot away. She walks normal and sits fine. Everything looks the same today no changes. I don't see any new scales coming in. I just noticed this yesterday, so she couldn't have been like this for very long. I don't see any swelling in the webbing. I will keep checking her for any changes and do the diluted beta dine soak today and see if that might help.
thank you for your help and will keep this post updated in case anyone else has same problems.

If there is scale damage, or they are simply growing back, it will take a very long time. There isn't much blood supply to the legs is why. So if it is this, don't panic at the slow healing rate.

She has been the same. The weather here has turned cold and extremely windy so they have had to stay in their run and coop. I have not done any soaks cause of the temps. Keeping a close eye on her for any changes good or bad

Glad she's no worse and understand the limits of the weather. Had hoped you would see some improvement in the red areas, but no worse is is optimistic.

Also had hoped by keeping the thread going would get more attention and input.

Do you have a local Agriculture Extension Office Agent? If you do, call them with the issue and see if they have access to a Poultry expert - they would let you email the photo to the agent to pass along for real expert opinion. Ours has been quite helpful in the past, but they will only offer services to local areas.

If you see anything worse, add a new pic.

Checked her over real good today, reddness has nearly gone, so it's just the toe joints without the scales on them and those look ok nothing worse on them. I checked for any signs of bumble foot and still everything looks good there. I'll just checking her very day for any changes. Thanks for all the help.

Checked her over real good today, reddness has nearly gone, so it's just the toe joints without the scales on them and those look ok nothing worse on them. I checked for any signs of bumble foot and still everything looks good there. I'll just checking her very day for any changes. Thanks for all the help.
Bet the redness was "small scale" shedding as well?

So glad she is better. I know what a relief that is to you.

Back
Top Bottom