Redness between toes

romahunter

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2017
Bolton, MA
Hi! After turning cold (we live in Massachusetts), in the last couple of weeks, I noticed that one of my chickens started to develop redness between her toes. Nothing too dramatic, just pinker/darker than usual. No swelling, no lesions, no scale, no apparent parasites. Definitely not bumblefoot. She is also walking in an affected manner. Still putting weight on her feet, but picking them up and holding them under her belly before putting down. Like she is stepping over something, that sort of motion and her steps are slow and deliberate. If she is running for something, i.e., treat, she doesn't do this, just when she meanders around the run. Both feet are the same, she doesn't favor one over the other. When she stands, she also will tuck one foot under her belly. And she is also puffing her feathers out more, what is left of them. She is moulting, quite dramatically and stopped laying.

My initial thought was that her feet are cold and she is doing this to keep them warm. But I didn't see her do this last year and none of my other gals are doing it. They are all moulting but she is the least feathered of them all right now, so definitely has less insulation. I am a new chicken owner (had them for 1.5 years) and this is my first time dealing with moulting.

Any thoughts on what this might be?

Noticed exactly what you describe except "puffing feathers out more & molting" with 2 out of 7 of my cockerels few month ago. The was nothing look wrong with the feet upon inspection except some redness and they have stopped doing that after may be 4 days. They did not start laying though, so ended up in a freezer :)

Mine have that same problem! I'm going to watch this thread. Sorry I can't help you. :(

It's really perplexing me because she doesn't seem in pain and her feet are not "angry", but she is pulling her feet up a lot. Again, not avoiding putting them down and putting weight on them, just pulling them up. She curls her toes when they come up.

How I have a different thought about what it could be. Yesterday I picked her up and checked her out thoroughly and noticed that her entire underbelly was bald with new feathers growing in. Now I'm wondering if it's her underside that is either uncomfortable because of the new feather growth or she's protecting her underside from cold.

She doesn't seem sick to me, though she is all scrawny and pale because of the molt.

It sounds like she may be a bit chilly. If you see no injury or wounds to the feet.

You may be able to help her out by putting some straw or leaves in the run if it's bare dirt.

Back
Top Bottom