Redstars

bigmac03

Chirping
Jul 6, 2014
Ok guys and gals i have redstars that is aproxxamately 24-25 weeks old 4 of them have been laying regular i have gotten about 3-4 dozen off of them since they started but i have not got nothing for the last 3-4 days and have changed anything (diet,water,etc) is this normal could it be just that there young,daylight hrs.,moultin (OH YEA THIS IS MY FIRST RODEO) i also live in NE mississippi this is there home

Last edited:
Well Redstars normally lay great,and the only thing I can think of is the egg cycle or short it being less daylight hrs.Could I see any pictures?

They look very healthy.No stress looking,but i'm guessing it is daylight hrs,or just the Egg cycle.

I keep a feeder full at all times of 22% layer pellets could i be feeding them to much?

22% protein seems more than you need. If they supplement with free range a lot that's a good amount. Typically a 16% protein is all you need with minimal foraging. Likely cheaper for you.

As for laying, I was surprised to see Mississippi has only 10 hours from sunrise to sunset this time of year. If eggs are crucial to you then a energy efficient bulb (14 W CFL) on a timer is all you need to keep egg production up. When I choose to use supplemental lighting I shoot for 12 hours total. So for you that would be adding two hours so set timer for 5 am and turn off a little after 7 am which is your current sunrise. Or at a time a bit past your normal opening of coop.

Last edited:
I keep a feeder full at all times of 22% layer pellets could i be feeding them to much?
Possible,but that isn't the greatest way to feed them.Sounds as if you are over feeding.Chickens can ear too much,and this everyday feeding thing you do their probably eating all day.I had this problem.
Stop feeding them as if they were horses(No offense),because actually they can get fat and have "Health"issues and die,or never produce another Good,brown egg for you again.
The way I think you should them is the way I do.Their morning feed,is 1 full scoop,of layer feed,it goes in about a 9-10 f foot long container,and feeds 6 ducks,and 22 chickens.
Then they free range,or maybe every so often,I share popcorn or bread.

Will they be fine on just layer pellets they dont free range at all cause dogs. If they are out of cycle how long can i expect this to get back in cycle

Back
Top Bottom