Reducing humidity

Thank you.. I thought a little extra insulation would keep down any drafts and get prepared for colder temps.it’s snug coop for only three of them.They had this routine way of roosting where a wall was on one side and the rooster was on the other end keeping the ladies toasty in the middle. I was just hoping to fill the void of his heated protection. I’m sure they’ll adjust. You’re advice is helpful thanks.
'Snug' is a bit of a red flag, could mean too small and/or not enough ventilation.

We really can't help much unless you show us your coop, inside and out....
....and tell us.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1606518657577.png

'Snug' is a bit of a red flag, could mean too small and/or not enough ventilation.

We really can't help much unless you show us your coop, inside and out....
....and tell us.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2427660
Thanks I added my location. It’s New Hampshire but not sure how to add url of my coop . I tried , not very savvy. I’ll add them here.

Attachments

• 998B09C4-D6DC-4272-95D7-2AC8C7405804.jpeg
    998B09C4-D6DC-4272-95D7-2AC8C7405804.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 10
  • CC63D6EF-3357-4A39-BAB7-7E4FFCAC3AA1.jpeg
    CC63D6EF-3357-4A39-BAB7-7E4FFCAC3AA1.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 81FCFD11-20F0-487C-BCBB-742BDC4D03AE.jpeg
    81FCFD11-20F0-487C-BCBB-742BDC4D03AE.jpeg
    766.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 53B65794-EF09-48FA-BDF6-6EAF314E32C5.jpeg
    53B65794-EF09-48FA-BDF6-6EAF314E32C5.jpeg
    920.8 KB · Views: 10
I’m worried my coop is too LARGE for three hens to stay warm.
Common misconception that birds in a small tight coop will keep each other warm.

Don't worry. It's not their coop that keeps them warm, it's their natural down coats. :)
Exactly!

@Chickslady I see no ventilation except that one window...
...and the door(which is very cool looking).
It's why you can't seem to reduce the humidity inside the coop.
There is nowhere for the moisture laden exhalations, and the moisture/ammonia from the poops, of the birds to escape.
That's why 'snug' is a red flag as it implies 'air tight'.

Not seeing any easy fix, usually the soffits are the best place to ventilate, but there are no soffits. Gable vents would be fairly easy and help.

It looks like a great coop. A fine size for your flock But it needs ventilation. In Central NH you get plenty of snow. You have a pretty steep roof. You could consider a ridge vent. If you are up to clearing the snow from it. The gable ends are another option. You might need a louver of some sort to block snow and rain. And you could keep the top half of the window open. Again, finding a way to block wind, snow and rain.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck.

Attachments

• 1606573880080.png
    1606573880080.png
    768.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1606573982040.png
    1606573982040.png
    742.8 KB · Views: 5
It looks like a great coop. A fine size for your flock But it needs ventilation. In Central NH you get plenty of snow. You have a pretty steep roof. You could consider a ridge vent. If you are up to clearing the snow from it. The gable ends are another option. You might need a louver of some sort to block snow and rain. And you could keep the top half of the window open. Again, finding a way to block wind, snow and rain.

Thanks we bought this coop cuz we loved the look of it. Being beginners we didn’t notice obvious flaws until we had it delivered. It was new but needed work. The nesting boxes leaked the window only opens on the bottom, lack of high ventilation. We added the screen door ourselves which was wonderful in the summer. It’s the winterizing that’s been more work.. we’re going to add some high vents though there’s not much room,( maybe some holes) with someway to block wind, rain and snow from blowing in. It’s a challenge!

Thanks you’ve been very helpful!

I’m not sure why the high humidity itself matters if moisture isn’t condensing inside. They need ventilation for the sake of ventilation but the humidity itself shouldn’t be a problem for them. Its almost always near 100% humidity in north Florida on the outside and it doesn’t have a negative impact on the chickens.

Common misconception that birds in a small tight coop will keep each other warm.

Exactly!

There is nowhere for the moisture laden exhalations, and the moisture/ammonia from the poops, of the birds to escape.

Not seeing any easy fix, usually the soffits are the best place to ventilate, but there are no soffits. Gable vents would be fairly easy and help.

Exactly!

[/QUOTE thanks, we really thought we were butting this coop from an experienced chicken coop builder. His vision was nice.. we love the door too.The window is all it has for ventilation and it’s been a struggle since we got it. Learning something new everyday!

Back
Top Bottom