Reduction in egg quantities. Was getting 4 all winter now only 2. Is it normal? First time chicken owner here.

James22martin66

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2021
Hello everyone,
Being relatively new to chickens, this is my first winter with them. I am in the south of England, and have 3 light Sussex and 1 cou cou maran. They started laying early/mid December. We have been getting one egg every day from each, but as of the last few days, we have been getting only half that amount (2 eggs a day.) We are working the next week as part of normal chicken maintenance, and we have reduced the amount of extra snacks (corn, veg), though I do not think it is the snacks at fault. Is it just seasonal? Could it be due to bad weather? Being new to chickens I dont know and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I a bit worried.

Forgot to mention that they are all acting like normal and are eating and drinking like normal as well. We also give the apple cider vinegar in their water about 1 a week.

I'm not an expert, but I'm assuming it's just due to lack of sunlight. How many hours do you think they're getting? If the weather has been bad, do you think that clouds might have been blocking the sun or that they're hiding in the coop?

Thanks,Could well be, but it's been like this all winter. They are under shade, so it probably not the normal amount. I think I will do a complete deep clean of the coop at the weekend, do the working and make sure they are free of lice and mites and see if anything happens.

Last edited:
Younger layers can be sporadic with laying. A couple of mine have gone on hiatus this past week (in my case, probably due to too many gloomy days), so I'm only getting half the number of eggs that I should be getting at this point.

Thank you. That given me some peace of mind. I will still do the worming and deep clean next week anyway.:)

No point in worming unless you've confirmed they have a worm load. With most wormers there's an egg withdrawal period after worming so you'd be tossing out all eggs for upwards of 2 weeks.
I read in multiple placesyou are meant to worm every 6 months or so. The wormerbwe will use is marriages in feed worker and has no egg withdrawal period:)

Back
Top Bottom