Redwood Incubators - Information, help, for sale and wanted

Pics
I live with humidity here in Seattle and 35-50% works perfect for me. I get a great hatch rate from anything that is fertile. But it is only 50% at refill and 40% normal and 35% when the water tray starts running low.

The hen can not really up moisture so what I do is try to maintain ambient humidity plus a little. I have by accident, run down to 1% humidity in the bator but on average humidity is 40-44%.

I think by putting the newest eggs up top where the air moves more and the hatching eggs down low it balances very well. at least in my incubator/climate.

I hatch Maran eggs, Olive eggs, Easter eggs, Ameraucana eggs, Bantam Favorelles and misc other bantams.

I get 100% hatch on any of my eggs (if it did not hatch it was not fertile and I crack them all open to verify) and a good 75% on eggs I bring in from other local breeders. I've a batch of Belgian Bearded d'Uccle Bantams in the bator that was shipped pretty rough (3 smashed out of 18) Will let you know how that hatches. :D

Cant hens sweat ? 

Chickens normal body temperature is higher than ours so they can get warm inside their thick layer of feathers. But they don’t have sweat glands so they don’t sweat, that is why I said ambient plus a little. Most hens can maintain ambient humidity plus about 10-20% from what I've read but then I have not researched it a lot since my hatch rates seem to match this. I think the humidity in the nest is from the eggs losing moisture. I'm sure in drier areas this most likely is not accurate, as in everything animals it will vary based on breed and climate.
I do live in a humid environment and this may only be valid here which is why I started with the "I live in Seattle" when explaining what I did to hatch eggs.

Hope this clarifies!

Staggered hatch#2 has begun, with 3 marans popping out. We pulled all water Tuesday after last weekend's hatch and humidity was 16% until I filled water trays and sponges Friday night. Right now it is 44% and I am not increasing it because it seems they are coming out ok. We pulled 7 trays out leaving one with the eggs in it so we can see in with a strong flashlight. I still don't think it will be possible to take pics due to the angle of looking into the tray.

Hello,

I have a large Buckeye incubator that was left at the farm I just bought. Any information would be helpful. the plaque says it is a buckeye and made in 1909. Thanks for the help

Wow... that's just WOW!. And I thought ours was a Monsterbator. Seriously I don't know whether i would consider that a blessing or a curse.
It must hold 4000+ eggs-- probably left there because no one could budge it. I'd read through the thread and multiply everything by 5 :)
Good luck to you!

Well hatching has started, one out and one unzipping, 40 odd more to go. Have managed to get humidity up to 65% in there so hopefully nobody will get shrinkwrapped this time!

Back
Top Bottom