Redwood Incubators - Information, help, for sale and wanted

Pics
I will need that alarm for my phone..I forgot this am to turn the eggs...and I was in there looking at it...duh...should I be concerned that when I pull out the turning lever, not all the eggs really turn over, some just move around without turning..or should I make sure they all turn at least a half turn & turn those myself?.
I don't really know about the turning question. I really don't think the hen makes sure to turn each egg 1/2 turn every time. I just move the levers and let the eggs do what ever. I don't even slide the trays out.

Quote: I agree. I think the new electric turners turn too many times. Is it true what they say about these incubators?
That if its fertile, it will hatch?
old.gif

Quote: Well, I paid $275 for mine, it works, but the outside is desperately needing refinishing. Hennyhens, just bought hers before I did, and paid $250 and it is refinished. I think they rewired it just to be safe. I would pay up to $300 if it works but needs tlc like mine does.

I posted in Craigs list. Last year I got responses, but no one followed through so I didn't get one. This year, I got a quick response. I drove 2 hours each way. He was asking $350, but when I saw the work it needed I offered less and he took it. All I knew was when he plugged it in, it turned on. Thats all. I thought he had been using it, but when I got there, it came out that he bought it at a sale in Pennsylvania and was reselling, so he had no clue about it. I took a chance. I've sold my Sportsman I bought 8 years ago, and am getting my money back.

If I was to resell it in the future, and it was all refinished, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to ask $500. After all, its already old...if it is working, then its worth it.

Quote: I agree. I think the new electric turners turn too many times. Is it true what they say about these incubators?
That if its fertile, it will hatch?
old.gif

Well NO because there are some that just give up. Day 3 and 19 tend to be the critical days for quitters. But YES the redwood cabinets do have a high hatch rate.

Quote: Well, I paid $275 for mine, it works, but the outside is desperately needing refinishing. Hennyhens, just bought hers before I did, and paid $250 and it is refinished. I think they rewired it just to be safe. I would pay up to $300 if it works but needs tlc like mine does.

I posted in Craigs list. Last year I got responses, but no one followed through so I didn't get one. This year, I got a quick response. I drove 2 hours each way. He was asking $350, but when I saw the work it needed I offered less and he took it. All I knew was when he plugged it in, it turned on. Thats all. I thought he had been using it, but when I got there, it came out that he bought it at a sale in Pennsylvania and was reselling, so he had no clue about it. I took a chance. I've sold my Sportsman I bought 8 years ago, and am getting my money back.

If I was to resell it in the future, and it was all refinished, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to ask $500. After all, its already old...if it is working, then its worth it.
Well it still sounds like you got a good deal. And yes they are experienced so no need to train them. And they never miss a beat ! !! !

Mine was only 100$ but it was in very rough shape. You can find them for cheap if you are willing to do the work to them. I think they are worth it. Not only to recycle something useful but to preserve a piece of our history.
Thanks for the compliment Chicken Rustler.

I really scored and bought one for $100 it worked great but I do want to refinish it and then the guy threw in a second one it needs work on the trays but fires up runs and holds a temperature good. I advertised on CL that I was looking for a cabinet incubator and I got a few responses but that was the best deal the guy even met me half way on short notice with them. I have been very happy with them but am hoping to make some automatic turners for them as it is difficult to turn them more then a couple days a week by hand.

OK, so i ran it for a couple of nights with no problems, I even have a high low gauge. Last night, it went down 2 degrees in the middle of the incubator. It probably went down to 30 degrees outside. Remember I have it in an unheated barn, but in an insulated room without heat.

Should I get another element and hook it up as well? there is another set of electric, I don't know what you call them, procelain holders? That I could wind a 2nd heating element around. Someone suggested I would get better heat control with 2.

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom