Redwood Incubators - Information, help, for sale and wanted

Pics
I am hoping someone on her can help me figure out what kind of incubator is listed in a garage sale post. There are no pictures, but what the listing said is that it is a Sears Incubator. The sale is advertised to be the result of a 4th generation farmer who was a hoarder. I got all excited about the incubator thinking that it might be a redwood. I emailed and asked for more information. The seller replied to me saying, "The unit does heat up, and if I remember correctly the model is 253- something or other. I would say it's just under two feet in diameter.". Diameter? He said he's going to price it at $45, so now I'm confused. Did sears make a round bator? The sale is a 2 hr drive for me one way. If it were closer, it would be a no brainer and I would just go, but the distance is a factor. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks!
Probably this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/81901/weird-incubator-from-sears

I am hoping someone on her can help me figure out what kind of incubator is listed in a garage sale post. There are no pictures, but what the listing said is that it is a Sears Incubator. The sale is advertised to be the result of a 4th generation farmer who was a hoarder. I got all excited about the incubator thinking that it might be a redwood. I emailed and asked for more information. The seller replied to me saying, "The unit does heat up, and if I remember correctly the model is 253- something or other. I would say it's just under two feet in diameter.". Diameter? He said he's going to price it at $45, so now I'm confused. Did sears make a round bator? The sale is a 2 hr drive for me one way. If it were closer, it would be a no brainer and I would just go, but the distance is a factor. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks!
From yer description I would guess it to be a "tin hen" Probably similar to this.

I have been using my redwood now for about 5 weeks or so. It has the push, pull turner bars.

So far, its worked well with my chicken eggs, but my goose eggs not good at all. I suspect they aren't turning like they should.

Last week None of the eggs hatched, and the week before I had 3, but all 3 had the yolk outside their bodies.

I managed to save one, but lost the other 2. So for 2 weeks, I lost over 12 eggs...sigh.

So, I get it that the yolk problem is too high humidity, and they are hatching on day 28, which is too soon.

I've been told I need to hand turn the goose eggs. What does everyone do with their goose eggs, if you have them? I am dry hatching, so the fact that they are not drying down has me mystified..

Someone told me to attach a piece of denim on the wire that is under teh goose eggs so they have more traction and turn better...suggestions?
I put 8 more eggs in yesterday, so I need to figure this out asap...

I'm now hand turning them.

I have been using my redwood now for about 5 weeks or so. It has the push, pull turner bars.

So far, its worked well with my chicken eggs, but my goose eggs not good at all. I suspect they aren't turning like they should.

Last week None of the eggs hatched, and the week before I had 3, but all 3 had the yolk outside their bodies.

I managed to save one, but lost the other 2. So for 2 weeks, I lost over 12 eggs...sigh.

So, I get it that the yolk problem is too high humidity, and they are hatching on day 28, which is too soon.

I've been told I need to hand turn the goose eggs. What does everyone do with their goose eggs, if you have them? I am dry hatching, so the fact that they are not drying down has me mystified..

Someone told me to attach a piece of denim on the wire that is under teh goose eggs so they have more traction and turn better...suggestions?
I put 8 more eggs in yesterday, so I need to figure this out asap...

I'm now hand turning them.
I really don't think the denim idea would make any difference. I have only dealt with chicken eggs but this is what I do. Also keep in mind that the denim would restrict the flow of air and heat to trays below.

First I am using a home made copied after the Farm master 600 egg. I have a large pan of water in the top that I keep water in all of the time. I put an X on one side of eggs and an O on the other. My trays also use the push pull type turners. When I turn I pull out each drawer one at a time. Push or pull the turner but also watch to see that all eggs move. I have been having good luck using this method for chicken eggs. Again I can't offer advice with goose eggs. Oh and a side note. I leave a spray bottle of water just inside the door. Each time I open the cabinet I give a few sprays. I also leave out 2 trays and and at day 18 I move the eggs down to the hatching tray so I can see them through the window.

Quote:
The redwood I have has 4 trays, 3 are identical the 4th is built differently. The 4th tray has wider seperation in the cross bars, the cross bars are made from sheet metal, not wire like in the other 3. Also to answer the question regarding the turning wires. I have 3 turning wires, 2 are obviously for the chicken/smaller egg trays. The 3rd is for the different tray because that's the only one it fits in. And the cross piece is upolstered in a corduroy or demin type fabric. So I think you hit the nail right on the head. By the way. My test hatch in the Leahy 416 came in at 80% of what was fertile.

Here's the turning wire. A normal turning wire is below.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom