Reforming an aggressive rooster (project)

I understand the concerns, but a couple things to note.

I have had this rooster for only a month. At his previous home there were children involved and way too many roosters. That's why I ended up with him.

He has never flown any higher than my waist, and does not appear to like heights. I am not concerned about an eye attack but will never get down on his level.

I am the only human interacting with him at this point.

I am completely new to this. I have never owned a rooster before.

The linked article pointed out some things in my own behavior that were likely triggering his aggression. Additional research added to that list. I am working on my own behavior first before starting any serious training.

I have trained animals and disabled children--if training becomes necessary, the same techniques should apply.

At the same time I am taking this very seriously. I am adjusting my patterns, going out to the coop "armored" so to speak.

However, since I started this project and began adjusting my own behavior, he has nor shown any aggression toward me. I am keeping a close eye on the situation.

Finally, he is a rooster. An animal. I do not make the mistake of thinking he has human motivations or emotions. I have to understand where he is coming from, not try to impose my human modes of thought on his behavior.

** If you have specifics about behavior that might be triggering his aggression, I would be interested in hearing it. I've done some research, but I don't pretend to know everything.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it but how old is he? Just wondering whether he is definitely out of the hormonal demon phase or not.

The first time he attacked me I was shocked and instinctively knocked him out of the air. He came at me again with the same result, but ever since I have been wary, watching and waiting for the next attack.

By reacting by knocking him back you may have reinforced it if it's a threat response. If you can avoid reacting at all, it's worth a try to see if he learns you're not trying to do something bad to him/his flock. From another post you mentioned that now that you are dressing differently for protection he ignores you. This may sound silly but you may have either removed or covered up a clothing item he was reacting to. Small flashes of color like skin showing through a gap between shirt sleeve and glove will also attract attention. Some birds can also just be weird about certain colors or textures of clothing items. For example, I have a cockerel who doesn't like big fluffy sweaters and I have no idea why, since nothing bad has every happened to him that involved a sweater (and neither of my other two cockerels care).

I wasn't paying attention when I went out there a few minutes ago, and we got into it again. I propped open the door of the coop and turned. But I stepped directly toward him and apparentlythat was sufficient.

My current "armor" isn't enough. No punctures this time, but bruises are another thing.

I need to change my habits. I responded instinctively, which is a bad idea. It didn't help that I had my hands full and I was focusing on something else.

Maybe I missed it but how old is he
He's just over a year old.
By reacting by knocking him back you may have reinforced it if it's a threat response. If you can avoid reacting at all, it's worth a try to see if he learns you're not trying to do something bad to him/his flock. .
That's the plan, but if I am not paying attention I instinctively react physically. He didn't attack when I was prepared for it and primed to just stand there. He attacks when I have my hands full and I am distracted. Expected, I suppose.

From another post you mentioned that now that you are dressing differently for protection he ignores you. This may sound silly but you may have either removed or covered up a clothing item he was reacting to. Small flashes of color like skin showing through a gap between shirt sleeve and glove will also attract attention.
Now that I think of it, I have been wearing gloves as part of my "armor" and this time I went out without them.

Ok, new plan. More layers and then I'm going to go out and just watch them. Be there. It's possible that I simply am not the person to do this kind of training. Important to know, if that's the case.

Now that I think of it, I have been wearing gloves as part of my "armor" and this time I went out without them.
Does he go for your bare hands? My cockerel that hates big sweaters also is a bit weird about bare hands right now - they catch his eye more than my gloves, and anything that moves quickly and gets his attention is at risk of a reactive chomp. A hand holding something gets extra attention because maybe it's food. He will often try to bop containers I'm holding to try to get them to spill. Mostly I've been patient with it and tried to predict and prevent so he learns that snotty behaviors don't get him what he wants, and it's been pretty successful although slow.

My current "armor" isn't enough. No punctures this time, but bruises are another thing.

Roosters are the hard mode of chicken keeping even when they are friendly; they can just do a lot more damage when they are upset and are also more likely to confront you about it. Even the friendly ones can leave peck/nip marks that are much worse than a hen would ever do.

Ok, new plan. More layers and then I'm going to go out and just watch them. Be there. It's possible that I simply am not the person to do this kind of training. Important to know, if that's the case.

This is a great idea - go watch and have a coffee/tea or something and just try to be present for a while. Sprinkle some food/treats a small distance in front of you to bring the flock over. If he is ok with that for several days, try doing a slow activity not too close to the flock, and so on. If the issue is fear rather than him wanting to fight you like he would another roo, that strategy works on everything from horses to humming birds although progress takes time.

Centrachid has way more experience than I ever will. And he is much more scientific than me. But I will offer this: Chicks raised by people are less skittish than chicks raised by a broody hen. I like that, I love having chickens, but really do not have pets that I pet and hold. So I like my chicks to grow up, giving me space.

That is why I think that you do tend to get nicer cockerels raised that way. I think that a lot of people try the training, way too late, after the attacks have begun. Chicks from a broody hen, she keeps between you and them, and they tend to respect your space.

However, this is just a tendency - not a sure fire way of producing a perfect rooster.

I do have small children frequently visit the coop with me, and really have no urge to take on bruises to keep a rooster. My flock often needs thinning, and those boys are the first to go. In my mind, if you are processing birds, well get rid of the means ones.

Maybe this will work - but it is not worth the time to me. As the op found out, one must be continuously aware, or that is when they sneak in.

Mrs K

I do have small children frequently visit the coop with me, and really have no urge to take on bruises to keep a rooster. My flock often needs thinning, and those boys are the first to go. In my mind, if you are processing birds, well get rid of the mean ones.
I hope it works. If I wasn't planning to use him for a special breeding project he would be gone by now. It simply wouldn't be worth the bruises, the extra time and effort.

If there were any children here I wouldn't be doing it this way. But I want to give him a chance as well, and honestly I need to figure out my own behavior or this will keep happening.

I hope it works. If I wasn't planning to use him for a special breeding project he would be gone by now. It simply wouldn't be worth the bruises, the extra time and effort.

If there were any children here I wouldn't be doing it this way. But I want to give him a chance as well, and honestly I need to figure out my own behavior or this will keep happening.
Can you post a video of interactions?

I wrote an article which I hoped would help people who were having rooster problems. Pay particular attention to the fact that these were free range roosters. Roosters confined may need a different approach. It's a long article and it won't tell you how to fix a problem. What it may help you understand why a rooster does what he does and with that knowledge, avoid some of the most common mistakes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

If the above doesn't prove to be usefull then as such videos go, this is one of the better ones.

Back
Top Bottom