refridgerated eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lobo307, Aug 14, 2011.

1. lobo307

lobo307 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    has anyone ever tried to incubate refridgerated eggs?
    i was told that if i let them come to room temp slowly they may hatch.

2. cornfed80

cornfed80 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    poynor tx
    most store bought eggs are infertile they are raised without roosters so incubation would not be possible. I personally have not tried to incubate refridgerated fresh eggs.

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

It's an interesting idea though. Let us know how that turns out. I might give it a shot if you're successful.

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I have not done it myself, but I know many people have. Trader Joe's Stores carry fertile eggs in their refrigerator section and several people on here have been able to hatch them.

5. lobo307

Feb 21, 2011
    i set 4 fresh and 21 refridgerated pekin eggs today. we will see in 28 days.
    i gave the cold ones 1.5 days to come up to room temperature and about 12 hours in the shop at 82 degrese before putting them in.
    i did mark the fresh eggs so i can tell what hatches.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    The last time I incubated I grabbed one of the EE eggs from the refrig; my boys help collect eggs and put them away forgetting to leave that egg for me to put in the storage area for the eggs awaiting incubation. It hatched! ( I have roosters.)

7. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    I bought refrigerated eggs from Trader Joe's. I put the dozen eggs in the garage on a really hot day to get them up to speed. Then I put them under two broodies. They hatched.

8. lobo307

Feb 21, 2011
    thats really cool, i have read that the optium temp for holding hatching eggs is 55 degrese, if thats true, a forty degree box shouldnt hurt much.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm one of the people who has successfully incubated and hatched Trader Joe's fertile eggs (hatched on New Year's Day). I have 3 laying pullets and a cockerel, all white leghorns.

I'm very proud of TJ and his three Josies, in amongst my flock.

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I've hatched Brahma eggs which have been in the 'fridge and then placed under a broody after allowing to warm to room temp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by