refrigerated eggs and viability

i have hatched eggs that were in the fridge for 2 weeks & longer, this is the best place to store eggs for hatching, fridged eggs WILL HATCH.

great article, I have eggs in the fridge but I think they are waaaayy over due.. so i'm not even going to try it.. since they are like over the 5 week period.. now if I did and they hatched that would be a miracle.. any thoughts should I try to see if they are still viable? I'm very curios.

I wouldn't try that. There are high odds of old eggs going rotten very quickly when brought up to those kind of temps. Any viable eggs may produce deformed chicks from damage to the cells. Also eggs lose moisture as they are stored and the air sacs would be good sized already. By the time they incubate 3 weeks the chicks will be unable to hatch from lack of space to move around. Really not worth it.

Last edited:
One of my blue maran's first pullet eggs were in the fridge for several days before I decided to go ahead and set them. I think I got 5 out of 7 to hatch from that batch
smile.png

I got 7/15 hatched chicks adorable in brooder and a 15/15 pip one more hatched out and fluffing so if all 7 of the pipped shells come out I got a 100% hatch rate off 2 week old refrigerated eggs. will post pics after my deadline 1 more day then I either help or there gone.
wink.png

Quote:
okay that makes sense.. yeah these are probably waaaaayyyy past any date to hatch them out.. and I wouldn't feel right if I had deformed chicks either..

Quote:
From memory cause I don't have my chart anymore.

Unrefrigerated
90% or better the first 7 days
80% or better by day 14
40% on day 22
10% by day 29

Refrigerated
80% on day 3
75% on day 7
70% on day 14
65% on day 22
60% on day 29
55% on day 36

Anyway a week is best, 2 weeks is ok an refrigerate any ya want to try to keep for longer.

-Mr.HenryRooster :

wow thats awsome:(
sad.png
new to the website just wanted to drop a line very first post

welcome-byc.gif

I have learned 95% of what I know about chickens and incubating and all that stuff from BYC. 2% I learned from reading other resource material, and 3% from experience. Well, at least it seems so!

I know I wouldn't have enjoyed my chicken keeping experience if there was no BYC, that's for sure.​

Back
Top Bottom