Refrigerated Eggs for Hatching?

cook_kaka_ook

Songster
13 Years
Oct 29, 2009
I have silky mix that went broody unexpectedly. Won't it be fun watching a momma hen taking care of her chickies? The problem is I store my eggs in the refrigerator to stay fresh. Are they still viable if she sits on them considering that some were already there for good seven days or so?

Quote:
Hi there, they say you should not use eggs out of the fridge, but a friend here in Australia told me he had 12 silky to put in his bator and when he went to get them his mother had help him out and had placed them in the refrigerator they had been they for two days, he still put them in the bator and had a 80% hatch. May I suggest to you let the stand to come up to room temp and give them a try and candle the eggs at 7 days and see, if they are no good you should have some more eggs by then to give to her.
Ron

A friend of mine hatched some duck eggs that had been refrigerated. The parents were killed by something so he threw them in my homemade incubator and 5 of 8 eggs hatched.

I have had eggs develop that were store bought, refrigerated and 10 days old. So I say to go ahead and put some under her, it can't hurt anything!
fl.gif

there have been several people on here that have hatched refrigerated eggs.
Including trader joes eggs!

I would give ut a shot if it were me.

But I don't have any broody hens, so I have an incubator.

Back
Top Bottom