Refrigerated Eggs

chrishel

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Windy City
It's sort of a weird feeling now that I'm collecting my eggs to eat now rather than hatch for the Hatch-a-Long. I boiled up about 40 and as I was laboring over peeling them, I was thinking if anyone has tried to hatch eggs that were kept in the refrigerator.

I know we were trying to keep the eggs humid and around 50 degrees for best storage for hatching but I was was just curious if refrigerator temperatures (about 40 degrees) are lethal to the embryos.

Not sure about with quail eggs, but where I worked we always had trouble hatching chicken eggs that were stored in a cold (freezing!) storage room. We ended up having to move them into another room closer to the hatchery and have heaters set up to keep the room warm
big_smile.png
In winter that was probably about the temperature of a fridge....the way I've always been taught is to keep them at room temp. or just below it, but I'm not sure what people on here do
smile.png

There are threads here on BYC of people hatching(chicken) eggs from the refrigerator with no problems, of course you have to consider the age of the eggs and all...but I think the most important thing to do if you are going to incubate refrigerated eggs is to let them get room temperature before setting them.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom