Refrigeration???

yankee

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Does everybod refrigerate their eggs? How long can they remain
un-refrigerated and be safely eaten? Do they ever go bad?

They go bad eventually but they don't last that long here before they are sold or eaten. I refrigerate mine but when my mom was back in china, they'd get eggs and they'd just sit out all times of the year on the table for a few weeks and still get eaten. I actually have a few eggs sitting in my room that have been here for 3-4 years and they have just dried up. No plans on eating them though!

I'll refrigerate mine eventually, they may sit out for a few days before I get to it though. Unfertilized unwashed fresh chicken eggs easily stay good for more than a month unrefrigerated.

Think about it: In the wild a hen lays 1 egg a day for 12 days THEN starts to sit on them to incubate them. By that time the oldest has been sitting for 12 + days in up to 90 degree heat, yet it's not rotten.

The U.S. is one of only a few countries that refrigerate eggs, Europe and elsewhere they are not.

I've been wondering about that! Will the first egg that got laid on day 1, hatch before the egg that got laid on day 12? Or does the 21 days start as soon as mama hen sets on them?
hu.gif

I choose to put mine in the fridge right after they are collected through the day. I'am sure mine are totally fresh, cause alot of different people will consume them. I need to know they are superior to anything in the stores.

bigzio

Yep - in South Africa, we never refrigerated our eggs.... our butter also stayed out on the table!

One of my friends wants to buy eggs, but she insists that they not be refrigerated, EVER! She says once they get cold, then if you take them out they will go bad faster. I wondered then what about winter eggs, they will get cold before I collect them. She didn't have an answer for that one, her experiences were from living in the tropics. Is this "no cold before leaving at room temp" true?

Thanks for all the replies. I also like to backpack and they sell those little hard egg holders. I always wonderd how long people would carry the eggs on the trail before they eat them.

I've also heard about once cold they must stay cold. Anybody but Zenbirder and I heard of that?????????

Back
Top Bottom