Refrigerator eggs

To be fair, I did see that there has been a rebuttal study posted that's much more recent. I do wish I had kept detailed records of my hatches so that I could see more if there was a pattern, but starting out I was very hit and miss with different incubators, to where I just now feel like I'm really hitting my stride and being consistent. On that note, I'm gonna go hunt up some ideas and make myself a little hatching binder :)
It's never to late to start.. compare a "normal" incubation or two to a refrigerator hatch or so. I personally believe in this case, even with all the pie charts you are not going to get consistent results out of the two, if your refrigerator hatches do indeed give you more hens than roos, then I'd say there is something to that idea. There is nothing for me that is said that doesn't have some grain of truth to it.

I had two of my favorite hens slaughtered by a break in, either by neighbors dog or coyote. These two were the oldest of my flock and best layers. I have about 10 more spring pullets that laying too and one EE roo. The older hens layed larger darker colored eggs, (golden laced and a Maran) well identifiable. After the slaughter I pulled all of their eggs which were refrigerated in hopes of hatching them, in addition to a few of the pullets.....just in case. I allowed them to warm to room temp before placing in my incubator. They were not scheduled to hatch until Monday. They all have started hatching 2-3 days early. I have always had eggs hatch on time or later, never early. Since these are all refrigerator eggs, my first, is this a good sign/. So far I have 9 out, and three more pipping.
How long were they refrigerated? I lost my roo, Rex, recently and I wanted to try to hatch his fertilized eggs. I think they have been in there about 5 weeks. I am going to try to incubate them.

Back
Top Bottom