Refurbishing a prefab coop/run

Mrsoveralls

Chirping
Mar 11, 2024
I have a prefab coop/run that is several years old. The base has begun rotting. I’m thinking of shoring it up. Should I run 2x4’s on the inside or outside around the bottom?

Hi, welcome to the forum! Glad you joined!!

Photos might show a preference for one or the other but with all things equal I'd go for outside. And use treated lumber so it doesn't rot out so quickly. Outside is probably easier to access and fit.

Is the coop light enough for 2 people to pick up one side at a time? We put 2X4s under the wood of our pre-fab coop because the original wood is too thin and not pressure treated.

Last edited:
Here’s a pic, if you zoom in on the bottom you’ll see the coop/run wood (white and brown) is sitting on a flat 2X4 (unpainted- but filthy
IMG_0844.jpeg

Photos might show a preference for one or the other but with all things equal I'd go for outside. And use treated lumber so it doesn't rot out so quickly. Outside is probably easier to access and fit.
Thanks. That’s what I thought but wanted advice from those with more experience. The rotten areas are only in spots so I don’t have to tear out anything.

Is the coop light enough for 2 people to pick up one side at a time? We put 2X4s under the wood of our pre-fab coop because the original wood is too thin and not pressure treated.
Maybe. I don’t have a second person to help with it. Your photos show what I’d love to do if I could get help.

Thanks for the advice on placing them on the outside. The inside would have been too difficult under the coop floor. I've run my 2x4's and put down new hardware cloth. My girls (chicks and dogs) were very curious and watched and talked to me all day.
Thanks, too, for the link. It has a lot of great information.

Maybe. I don’t have a second person to help with it. Your photos show what I’d love to do if I could get help.

So the only helper that showed up when I was working was a rat snake looking for lunch. She hung around for about 3 hours and never found a way in. Yay!
I placed my 2x4's on the outside and hope to round up some help in the future to lift each side so I can slide some extra 2x4's under for added structure security. I added new hardware cloth, so I'll have to unscrew it temporarily when I take that step. Thanks, again for the picture. Yours looks great.

Back
Top Bottom