Regarding cold weather flock maintenance, Jim the farmer says:

Quote:
Jim actually said he's used large tree branches for roosts before. He just stressed that, whatever you use, the surface should be broad enough that toes don't curl under the roost where they wont be covered by feathers.

In fact, I made the mistake of using the term "perch," and Jim corrected me right away: "chickens don't perch, they roost." He said that chicken feet are flat because they walk and run on the ground, whereas songbirds have grasping feet so they can land gently on a slender tree branch. This is why songbirds hop when they are on the ground; their feet aren't designed for walking like a chicken's are.
Conversely, a chicken's feet aren't made for grasping the circumference of a round object the way a perching bird's are. (Didn't explain that as well as Jim did, but hopefully I made some sense)

Dang, I wish Jim lived close to me. He's my kind of mentor!

One thing that is different about chickens than other birds. They do not grip with their back toe like wild birds so something wider than a small dowel rod works better. It's not about cold feet as much as the way their feet actually work. Again, it depends on the size of your birds. My 14 lb rooster's feet are 5" from middle toe nail to back toe nail. A small roost won't cut if for big Suede.

I like the entire list. Thanks for sharing it with us! Very sensible rules to follow.

Quote:
I absolutely love posts like this. Someone who is doing something different than what seems to be considered the norm. I'm not saying the post is right or wrong. Only that it gives us something else to consider.

This is my first winter with chickens, and I went with 2 X 6s for the roosts. Everything I'm trying is subject to change, regardless if 99% of the members don't agree with the possible changes. In the end, it's not about what everyone else does. It's about what works for you.

Ed

Quote:
Yup, when songbirds alight on a branch their feet automatically curl around the perch--that allows them to fall asleep without falling. I actually found a dead finch--of what I don't know--on a branch, it's feet would not allow it to fall to the ground. Any number of times I've picked up stunned birds that have crashed into the window, and even while they are out, their feet will grip a finger. That won't happen if you pick up a chicken, even a chick with small feet--they must balance themselves on the roost. I think many times that's why some prefer to sleep in the nesting boxes.

Quote:
Thanks!!! Good info from a long time farmer.....
thumbsup.gif

I agree with everything but the reasoning behind the corn. Corn can help them keep their energy levels up, but they can also do the same by eating more layer feed, yet they don't need the extra protein and minerals that come with the extra layer feed, so corn can help the dilute the amount of protein and minerals they are getting.

But... They should go to bed at night with a crop full of layer feed as they do a lot of their eggshell production at night. In the absence of calcium in the crop they will use their own reserves as well as they can and then replace the calcium later, but for optimum shell formation they should go to bed with a crop full of layer feed and have layer feed available first thing in the morning.

Throwing some corn out there during the day would help just as well as feeding at night, or even mixing 5% or 10% corn into the layer feed to dilute the protein and minerals while increasing energy would have the same effect.

As a chicken newbie entering our first winter with chickens here in chilly MN, I found these pearls of wisdom from Jim very reassuring. I had been uneasy with the idea of heating a coop (fire/safety concerns, mainly), and am going to follow his advice and not heat the coop. (We have two Easter eggers and a Buff Orpington.)

Although our coop is of solid construction, I do notice some "gaps" around the lid to the nest box... I am wondering if I shouldn't try to fill this with something to minimize drafts.... I am planning to add clear plastic around parts of the run this weekend to help with wind/snow.

From the replies I have read, it sounds like some of you are offering food at night? We have left the food in the run and not put it with them in the coop at night. Of course, if it is dreadfully cold out and they are in the coop mainly, I will need to move the food there during the day. Is it ok to just offer food during the day?

Thanks for the wonderful, common sense advice. I feel much better about things...!

By the way, we got our FIRST EGG today! Woo-hoo! My children all just STARED at it with utter amazement and pride.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Wow! That's important info to know. Do you think the extra calcium at night is as important in the winter, though, if a hen has stopped laying for the season?

Quote:
Wow! That's important info to know. Do you think the extra calcium at night is as important in the winter, though, if a hen has stopped laying for the season?

No, not if they aren't producing. They will just pass any extra calcium that they aren't using.

Back
Top Bottom