??? regarding Muscovy colors

aja19919

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am new to the Muscovy duck. I have a few questions for the group.

I tried looking on Amazon but did not find a book dedicated to this bird so was wondering if anyone knew of a book that specializes in this breed. Is there a book specifically on these guys?

I have a white male drake with blue eyes. Is this a special coloring ?

I have a hen who is sitting on a nest and either the ducklings have died or she laid infertile eggs, but she is way past the due date and the smell is getting to be a bit much. I am wondering if I went and got her fertile eggs from another farm and replaced them if she would sit on them for another 35 days or get bored with the whole thing. Her nest is in a dogloo and I bring her food so she does't have far to go for food or water. Will she keep sitting as long as there are eggs under her?

General management: Right now everyone is free range and the males in this group are all young. Should I be serperating the males from females? I do have one adult male by himself but that is because he started raping all the hens and causing a ruckus amongst the flock.

Is there any poisonus food a duck can not eat? Dark chocolate is bad for dogs and avocado for parrots but haven't come across anything duck should not have. They don't get that many treats other than garden scraps but would hate to accidently poison them.

Thank you for your time.
Amy

Issaquah WA

I have a white male drake with blue eyes. Is this a special coloring?
I have seen a few and they are really beautiful and you are lucky to have such a pretty boy

Will she keep sitting as long as there are eggs under her?
Usually yes

Should I be serperating the males from females?
If you want ducklings then keep them together but if you have too many males you need to get rid of some

I do have one adult male by himself but that is because he started raping all the hens and causing a ruckus amongst the flock.
Well the raping is him breeding the hens so all the males will do this you only need one male for about four females

Is there any poisonus food a duck can not eat?
Look on BYC there are some great threads all about duck treats and food that is ok and not ok for them to eat

I have 3 solid white females with blue eyes.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom