regarding saddle sizes

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
Okay what would you do? I am getting a pony for DD (mostly me...but you know) as long as vet check goes okay (
fl.gif
for Thursday ) and obviously I am going to have to buy a saddle. So my question is should I buy one that fits DD now (I'm guessing 10" western) or opt for a 13 or 14 inch and have her grow into it? What would you do?
hu.gif

I'd say if your DD has never ridden before and will be learning, buy the one that fits NOW, you can always sell it later.

You could look to find a used one now as well.

don't forget to make sure the saddle fits the pony's back ...

maybe you could look into one of the wintec westerns? they're super lightweight and "grippy", in addition to being less expensive.
i would opt for one that fits your daughter now too, maybe a little big for her but certainly not 5" too big.

If your daughter is especially just starting to learn, find one that fits her now and the horse. You can find some used ones at tack shops, craigs list and of course ebay. You could always trade it in later for a better one.

Thanks all! That's what I will do then. I'll measure her and measure him and find one that fits them both.

Do you know how hard it is to find a helmet to fit DD's tiny little head? Lol she's so little. I think I found a helmet on Jeffers that's not ridiculously priced considering she's going to outgrow it in a year.

On a small narrow wither-having pony with a pointy top of the croup, you may not actually end up with any choice at all if you want even just-barely-adequate saddle fit
wink.png
It is very easy to run into problems with the saddle rubbing the horse in the upwards slope of the back, or even atop the hindquarters, and that is a fast ticket to pony behavior problems and scared kids. You may need to find a *short* saddle (it's the panels or skirts that need to be short from front to back, which does not necessarily relate to seat size, despite what logic might suggest).

Look at the wintec little-kids' saddles, even if you would have preferred a western saddle, they are cheapish and generally pretty useful, assuming you can get 'em to fit this pony (and I think your odds are better than with many other brands). Actually, I apologize for forgetting what age your daughter is, but if she is still pretty young you might even look at wintec's leadline saddle (well, that's what they used to call it, I have not chcked to see whther they still make it or if it's still called that), which is an awfully good starter saddle for the Very Young set, like up til they get to controlling the pony well at walk and trot and starting to canter independantly with a decent seat.

Of course, if you have a *choice* between saddles, then as others have said, DEFINITELY go for one that fits your daughter now. It is hard enough learning to ride, and dealing with an unfamiliar and possibly not 100% broke pony -- kids really don't need the extra complications of slopping around in a too-big saddle with the stirrups in the wrong place
smile.png

Have fun,

Pat, who used to teach riding a long time ago
wink.png

I would buy a saddle that fits your daughter, but with that said....I just bought one of the Cashel soft saddles. I am a die-hard real leather fan. But I love this saddle, and it actually stays in place. (which I doubted it would) No problem with saddle fit, soft like a bareback pad. It is molded front and back with raised panels to contour around the body.

Bought mine locally for 200.00

http://www.cashelcompany.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=9634&45

Check ebay- tons of saddles pretty reasonably priced so that you may be able to afford both a sadlle for you and her. Check out the synthetics. I truly feel the only way to be safe and enjoy riding in the correct fit for both you and the horse.
I just bought a nice synthetic that I truly figured would be junk but turned out really nice for $95, new.

Back
Top Bottom