Regarding the Horses in our lives...

Pics
here are what I have in my album right now

Katee helping me put up the Forecart. I photoshopped out the pipe corral I was outside and she was inside. At a boarding facility we were at before I moved her to my new place in the desert.

Katee just after we moved up to the desert.... TWo canvas covered carports for shade She didnt dismantle it but the wind did about two years later during a desert windstorm. the next morning I found her standing in the rubble and wiggling a pipe that was sticking up... when she saw me her expression was... "What...! I found it this way"

Katee wanting to push the buttons on the camera...

Katee and me at the Del Mar Fair.... What i was riding is called a stone boat or work sled.. Larger ones are called stone boats because they were used for just that... hauling stones out of the fields. They have many many many more uses like training green horses to pull stuff.

deb

here are what I have in my album right now Katee helping me put up the Forecart. I photoshopped out the pipe corral I was outside and she was inside. At a boarding facility we were at before I moved her to my new place in the desert. Katee just after we moved up to the desert.... TWo canvas covered carports for shade She didnt dismantle it but the wind did about two years later during a desert windstorm. the next morning I found her standing in the rubble and wiggling a pipe that was sticking up... when she saw me her expression was... "What...! I found it this way" Katee wanting to push the buttons on the camera... Katee and me at the Del Mar Fair.... What i was riding is called a stone boat or work sled.. Larger ones are called stone boats because they were used for just that... hauling stones out of the fields. They have many many many more uses like training green horses to pull stuff. deb [/quite] Beautiful! Yeah seen the stone sleds! Lots of rocks in the fields around here! Classic Midwest Farmland!

Yeah, the first horse I owned was a foal I.bought before birth. His parents belonged to our neighbours. A grey Arabian stallion and a grey 7/8 Arabian mare. My foal was quite the surprise! A beautiful black and white pinto with gorgeous markings. He didn't inherit the grey gene from either parent, so he stayed black and white. My guess is the stallion was black at birth and the mare was black and white pinto at birth. Both carrying 1 copy of grey. Being dominate, their genetics, beyond grey, were invisible. I am also amazed, knowing how hard it is to breed blacks in Arabs, that neither had the bay gene to pass along. Bay is the predominate colour in Arabs. Grey is just about as dominate, but it merely covers up colour, I am always frustrated by the fact that the birth colour on greys are not recorded which makes breeding to grey a real crapshoot. You can study the pedigrees to try to figure out birth colour, but rare is the pedigree free of bay, and bay is carried invisibly by chestnuts (it only acts on black so red horses can have it but won't show it) chestnuts are gorgeous and very recessive. Even more recessive is the roaning and Sabino genes which are the only spotting genes in pure Arabs. I have seen and known pure blood Medicine Hat Arabs, which is the Sabino gene in maximum expression. I have seen "pinto" Arabs, that are simply a more balanced expression of Sabino. I have owned a Chestnut Straight Egyptian that carried the Sabino gene. Her mother had lots of Chrome. Full blaze and stockings that went above the knee. As well as lower lip and chin spots. Majiid had only one half sock that didn't pass her hock, a small star, but she had white sclera in her eyes (human looking eyes) and roaming on her flank and her nose. Her babies all had lots of flashy white. She is my avatar by the way and expecting a foal this spring. She is my heart horse. Love at first sight. Her genetics are priceless and her temperament even more so. She is literally bomb proof!! Smart as a whip and super gentle.

I dont know much about color genetics.... except That black horses are most times born a silvery Grey.... Unless they are homozygous for black then they have a blue black sheen and are born very very black... doesn't fade.

My half Arab Gelding had a Black Grey Arab daddy. His momma was a Sandy bay. Marc was a light bay ....

I had him from day zero till he was fourteen when he died of cancer. that was in 1984

deb

Yeah, the first horse I owned was a foal I.bought before birth. His parents belonged to our neighbours. A grey Arabian stallion and a grey 7/8 Arabian mare. My foal was quite the surprise! A beautiful black and white pinto with gorgeous markings. He didn't inherit the grey gene from either parent, so he stayed black and white. My guess is the stallion was black at birth and the mare was black and white pinto at birth. Both carrying 1 copy of grey. Being dominate, their genetics, beyond grey, were invisible. I am also amazed, knowing how hard it is to breed blacks in Arabs, that neither had the bay gene to pass along. Bay is the predominate colour in Arabs. Grey is just about as dominate, but it merely covers up colour, I am always frustrated by the fact that the birth colour on greys are not recorded which makes breeding to grey a real crapshoot. You can study the pedigrees to try to figure out birth colour, but rare is the pedigree free of bay, and bay is carried invisibly by chestnuts (it only acts on black so red horses can have it but won't show it) chestnuts are gorgeous and very recessive. Even more recessive is the roaning and Sabino genes which are the only spotting genes in pure Arabs. I have seen and known pure blood Medicine Hat Arabs, which is the Sabino gene in maximum expression. I have seen "pinto" Arabs, that are simply a more balanced expression of Sabino. I have owned a Chestnut Straight Egyptian that carried the Sabino gene. Her mother had lots of Chrome. Full blaze and stockings that went above the knee. As well as lower lip and chin spots. Majiid had only one half sock that didn't pass her hock, a small star, but she had white sclera in her eyes (human looking eyes) and roaming on her flank and her nose. Her babies all had lots of flashy white. She is my avatar by the way and expecting a foal this spring. She is my heart horse. Love at first sight. Her genetics are priceless and her temperament even more so. She is literally bomb proof!! Smart as a whip and super gentle.
I was browsing Dreamhorse the other day and seen a beautiful black Rabicano Arabian stallion. So pretty and rare!

I had a black bay rabicano Quarter Horse... Sure do miss him.
sad.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom